High end cartridge

I post similar question in other forum, but didn’t get help I need.

I want buy high end cartridge to replace my old one, I have very little experience with cartridges, only entry level of Ortofon, Denon, and Shelter, the last two brands I didn’t like them. So I like ask folks here who have great experience with cartridges, and with VPI FB Gimbal tonearm.

I’m concern very much about SQ differentials, I like full body sound, live, punch, authority, and neutral. My first choice will be Ortofon Cadenza black, but before go for it, I want check other brands for better alternative.

I see many people go for Lyra or Dynavector, I’m aware they are high end, but I have doubt the sound charastric of these cartridges not close to what I want, but more similar to Denon, and Shelter.

I wonder if my assumptions are correct?

And about Soundsmith, Benz, Van Den Hul, how good are these? And compare to Ortofon?

And will be other brands worth to check?

Thanks to all.

knight7m

Van Den Hul cartridges are superb. Very neutral, spacious and natural sounding. The Frog is a particular sweet spot in the range. Hanas are also excellent - and start at very affordable prices. On the affordable front also is the evergreen Denon DL - 103 - not the last word in detail, but punchy.

VdH cartridges track at around 1.5g, have a very long stylus life and can be affordably retipped/rebuilt. Those are factors when one considers the cost per play of any cartridge.

You don't say what phono stage you will be using - the cartridge and phono stage are effectively a system, and should really be considered together.

Not sure of the budget, but I love my Sumiko Palo Santos cartridge.  I've used them on two turntables and both sound fantastic.  Exquisite even.  One mid-priced turntable and one high end turntable.  I have an all analog (tube) system with a phono preamp.  

Keep on spinning!

mijostyn, I think the post above mine that made a disparaging allusion to a VPI tonearm with unipivot bearing was subsequently deleted.  So I can't tell you who it was that made the assumption. Open ended questions like this one inevitably result in responders trotting out their list of their favorite whatever the subject, in this case, cartridge. Not very meaningful to read or to the OP either.  The best advice is "buy a cartridge" at the top of your price range.  Having then spent money, the buyer will tend to like whatever cartridge was chosen.  Then the buyer can join in on threads like this to recommend his cartridge to the next guy.  I think that's what Raul was getting at, and I agree.