Herron VTPH-2A, Herron VTSP-360 and Herron M2

Has anyone heard the newly-updated Herron products, the VTPH-2A, VTSP-360 and M2? If so, how have these new models changed or improved upon their predecessors? Keith Herron is just about the best guy in all of hi fi and I hope that these upgraded models improve upon his already great products.

Thanks.
casaross
I have heard them though not the VTSP-360 in my system.  It was in a system I'm very familiar with playing known recordings. 

I heard a pair M2 some time back and they were a step up from the M1.  I am still using M1s in my system.  For now.  I am considering upgrading to M2s, but that is in the future.  Prior to the M1s, I owned a pair of Herron Audio M-150s.

The VTPH-2A provides a nice improvement in detail and precision.  Sounds closer to "you are there" rather than improving a good recording.  I have been using a VTPH-2A long enough to hear its performance on a large enough sample of recordings to make that comment.  My VTPH-2A was upgraded from Herron's earlier VTPH-2.  Prior to that, I owned a Herron VTPH-1.

As good as the VTSP-3A (R03) is, and I have owned a VTSP-3A (R03) since my earlier VTSP-3A was upgraded to that release level, the VTSP-360 is just at the next level.  So clean and well-balanced.  Very musical, very engaging.  I have heard nothing as good (but I haven't heard everything).  The sound stage and imaging are in a league by themselves..  Individual performances is a large orchestra are better defined and isolated as part of the section, but integrate beautifully in the performance.  Dynamics large and small along with dynamic contrasts are sharp, tight and well-integrated with the musical instrument from which they emerge.  I just get lost in the performance rather than listen to the sound.  It is as close to live as anything I've heard.  The -360 is the only preamp I have ever heard that betters the VTSP-3A (R03). 

Prior to owning the VPSP-3A, I owned an early version of the VTSP-1.

But all this is just my opinion listening to my system and to a system / setup I consider to be quite good. 

Disclosure:  I am NOT Keith Herron.  I am NOT an employee, spokesman or legal representative of Herron Audio.  I am NOT a paid actor.  I personally know Keith Herron, as do many of his customers and have been using his electronics since they were first introduced.  My system is built around Herron Audio electronics because I have heard nothing that outperforms his equipment, I have not encountered better customer service in the industry.

Thanks so much for your response. I have the latest prior versions of these products and am considering upgrading them to current. Terrific products and a terrific guy in Keith Herron.
Anybody have any idea how the herron VTSP-3A R03 or newest version of the preamp stacks up against today's top flight preamps like the audio research ref6 or the levinson 52 , ayre kxr twenty or luxman c900u?
I own the the VTSP-3A  and the new M2's and have to say it is underwhelming at best. To try and improve it I replaced all the power cords with Audio Sensibility Statement and it helped but still, meh.

Two days ago I hooked up my NAD M2 which has been sitting unused for the last six months and I am wowed by the sound. I am going to listen to this setup for two weeks then go back to the Herron and see if what I am hearing is truly better. The NAD was half the cost of the Herron set up.

Now it is possible that the DAC portion in the NAD M2 is better than the Metrum Octave Mk II DAC I use with the Herron gear. The source is an Aurender N100. The DAC may be the weak link but I am not so inclined to purchase a new DAC to see if the Herron starts to shine.

I wish I was hearing what you guys are hearing.
I received my updated M2 power amps, now at M2A spec, my VTSP-360 to replace my VTSP-3A(r03) and my updated VTPH-2A. While I do not believe that I have given them a full chance to break in, I am extremely pleased with the sound. The entire set is dead quiet. Compared to the gear prior to its replacement and modification, the Herron stuff now seems a bit extended in the bass and the overall focus is a bit more oriented toward the lower midrange and upper bass rather than a bit leaner sound that this provided, before. The M2As have an FET front end and that may account for much of the difference, though I understand that the VTSP-360 has much better bass and weight than the predecessor VTSP-3A(r03). While I would not mistake the overall sound for tubes, it is a bit more tube-like sound than previously.

While my experience differs strongly from Blakcloud’s, his impressions represent his own personal take and are as valid as anyone’s, including mine. With stereo systems, everything matters, including one’s personal taste. For instance, I love Koetsu cartridges but others find them a bit lush and romantic, preferring the sound of Lyra cartridges that I find a bit hard. To each his or her own. Meanwhile, the challenge is to assemble a combination of components and cabling that appeals to you. In my case, the Herron stuff provides a sound that I really enjoy.
I own the VTSP-3a R03: happy with this.  Having heard the newest pre+amp, they are somewhat clearer, fuller and more dynamic than the previous models(IMHO).  I may upgrade my Parasound A21 to the M2 at some point.
Just to add, as I upgraded my Directstream dac firmware and Audirvana + software, the Herron easily transmits these improvements to the amp and speakers.  Sorry if blakcloud hasn't experienced an improvement.  
Keith Herron describes the VTSP-360 as both fuller and more detailed than the VTSP-3A (r03) and that seems right, though I don’t have them side by side for comparison. 
The VTSP-360 is as Keith describes after listening to 03 and 360.  I also think the  soundstage elements are improved.

I've had the VTSP-3A (r03) for about two years now if memory serves correct. I was curious about the microZotl pre... it could not compete. Even with NOS RCA from Andy.....

If I choose to get a new linestage. It will be the next iteration from Herron. 

My only gripe. It looks like a cable box with no ability to completely turn off all led's.... other than that no complaints.  I asked Keith about the possibility of a kill switch to completely black out while in operation. He feels that would interfere with the signal path, hinder the SQ... First world problems. I'll manage! 

Hey--former VTSP-3A (R03) owner now Reference (360) owner. Both units are great, but the Reference really takes things to another level sonically. A major understatement. You can dim and turn off the volume display from the remote which is the most significant light source however not the tiny function lights. That said, during a normal listening session only one small LED is lit up, two when I hit mute to change sides or talk to my family.

I have the VTSP-360 ESP/REF and one of the last VTPH-2A phono stages that Keith made.  My M1 amps are on their way back from Keith after some "updates". They had already been upgraded to a FET front end and he has some additional tweaks he's doing to them. He makes this stuff to listen to himself and is somewhat tight lipped about what exactly gets "updated" or "upgraded" from one model to the next, other than describing the sound you should expect to hear.  I change gear more often than most probably, but the only thing that I see changing in that part of the chain in the future is possibly the amps.  His tube gear is fantastic.

My VTSP-360 ESP has been sent to Keith for the REF upgrade.  I did upgrade from the M1 amps to the M2 amps.  Every change has been a positive one! 

Are the M2 amps class a/b. I'd guess as much. I think they run at 100 watts. Class A @15 watts would be phenomenal!  Class B for the rest would suit fine! 

That would be a good question for Keith.  150w into 8 ohms and 275w into 4 ohms.  I believe they only run a few watts in class A but I'm not entirely sure