Help with Icepower 1200as2 amp please!

Hello everyone! I am having an issue with my Icepower 1200as2 module. I have ran this amp for a few years and all of a sudden it starts going into a standby mode, then comes back on for a little while, then back to standby even when a signal is passing through. When I first built this DIY project using the 1200as2 module, I hooked up 2 LEDS on the front of the chassis. When first powering up the amp, the amber LED would light up until a signal was picked up through the RCA interconnects circuitry?  So if I wasn't playing anything through the amp, the amber LED would light up and stay on until a signal was detected. I really don't want to trash the module, so if I can get some help to perhaps fix this issue, I'd be very grateful and appreciative! Thanks for any help!

Best,

Jacques

jacquesw

I just wanted to add that I can hear a clicking noise coming from the module when this ON/STANBY starts switching even when a signal is passing through? I have no clue why it's doing this! :(

Get the spec sheet  (really a manual) from here:

https://shop.icepoweraudio.com/product/1200as2/

Then see how this audio sending is enabled or disabled.  It's either a jumper or switch that needs to be right.  May be dirty or not working.  Try disabling it to see if that fixes it.  If it's still going into standby mode, disconnect your amp output to ensure you don't have a short in the speaker cable or speaker.

Hi Erik and tweak1, thanks so much for your responses! Hope you all are having a good day! @erik_squires , I do have that icepower manual but not sure what I am looking for on it? The amp module was working fine for years, and all of a sudden, it started going in and out of ON and Standy modes. I can see this by the 2 LEDS that I mounted on the front of the enclosure. When the amp is first turned on, the amber LED lights up until a signal is passed through, then the blue LED comes on and plays when a signal is passed through. Not long ago I had unplugged it and took a look inside trying to see if I could notice anything visually. I unplugged all of the connectors from the board and re-plugged them back in making sure that all was secure. I then hooked the amp back up and it was working fine for a couple of weeks, then started this switching between the ON/Standby modes. I can actually hear a clicking noise when this happens. I can trouble shoot some things if I was told what to do. I have a Fluke DMM and such, but honestly wouldn't know where to start. Thanks for your concern!

@tweak1 Thanks bud, I will look him up and see if I can contact him! 

I do have that icepower manual but not sure what I am looking for on it? The amp module was working fine for years, and all of a sudden, it started going in and out of ON and Standy modes.

First understand your device. Is there a switch or jumper cable used to tell it to be in stand by mode? If so, check that and make sure it’s clean. Alternatively disable it so it’s always on.

In other words, the first thing to troubleshoot is the switch/jumper which enables auto mode.  A dirty jumper, or bad switch or wire can make this misbehave. 

@erik_squires

OK, so now that I am looking at the connections I used for the 2 LEDs, I see on the manual that on page 7/42 6.2 P101: Basic Control Connector, there appears to be a jumper from pins 3 & 6. This allows the 1200AS to automatically turn between on mode and standby mode. I also had to connect the 3 signal sense inputs (pin 20,21, 22 of P102) to the audio input connector (XLR/RCA connector in chassis). So when music input appears, the 1200AS will automatically power on from standby and after no music/signal, it will go into standby after around 13 minutes. Perhaps I could cut the wires that are going to the LEDs to see if that works?

If you can hear clicks, it's likely a relay. Unless it has other moving parts, clicking electronics are usually relays. Maybe that'll help. 

@gregdude 

Hi Greg, So I'm assuming that it could possibly be that this relay is going south? I have an idea where it is located, but not sure how I could de-solder it as there appears to be another pcb on the bottom section that looks like the transistors and some other circuitry? I'm thinking about unplugging the connector from P102 on the board and see if that helps. That connector has 2 wires that act like a jumper. I believe this should bypass that relay? Not sure though. Thanks for your input! 

Take a look at page 7, table 5.2. 

It lists P101-6 as being the standby signal.  When that is high it enables standby mode.  P101-10 is the mute feature.

If either of those signals go high it can disable the amp.

I'd start by measuring what is happening there.  Also, consider DIYaudio they have a great community of builders.

Just make sure you probe everything thoroughly before you start taking things apart 🙂 don't want to create a secondary problem to sort. 

@erik_squires 

I did list my issues with this amp module on DIY forum. Haven't had much of a response though :(  I have disconnected the P101 connector and tried to see what happens and a few minutes of playing, it starts that same annoying switching back and forth from ON to Standby. The noise I hear is not really just a click sound rather a combo of what appears to sound like a click with a voltage type of noise. It's just does it fast then stops. I had noticed this noise/sound when I first hooked up my amp to play. I just feel that I'd hate to trash it. Maybe someone can come up with a trouble shooting idea I can try to resolve this issue. But perhaps it may be something I can't fix! Perhaps if I can't fix it, I can look to build another amplifier using my enclosure/chassis and RCA connectors, speaker binding post, etc. I was looking at some other amps/kits using the Purifi components? I was also told to look at these components: Hypex Ncore, NcoreX, Nilai, Purify Eigentakt, and I believe the NCxMP version will be out soon? Any suggestions? Thanks again Erik!

@gregdude 

I have taken a photo of the module where I am hearing this clicking/voltage sound. I'm not sure which component it is though, and not sure where I could begin to probe!

photo of module where this clicking is coming from

OP:

It sounds like you are a beginner to this and this may be a bad way to get your feet wet.  Please be careful as there are some lethal voltages in there. 

Honestly I wish you'd learn more from other projects than this one. 

Best,

Erik

Erik is right, one of those components is labeled 305 volts ac! Donget zapped, it's not as fun as Scott Baio made it look 🙂

While I appreciate the comments, I wouldn't call myself a beginner! I'd never start messing around with any electrical component, especially while live, unless I was absolutely positively certain I knew a little something about it. I'm not saying I have a degree in electronics, or otherwise I wouldn't be asking for some help or guidance with troubleshooting this amp module. I just thought that perhaps someone here may have had some experience with the issue I am having with my ice amp, that would be willing to give me some guidance. But I do appreciate you guys for trying to help out!   

@erik_squires 

Could you suggest to me in your opinion what would be the best build using the following components? Hypex Ncore, NcoreX, Nilai, Purify Eigentakt, and I believe the NCxMP version will be out soon. From what I have gathered, these components would blow my icepower 1200as2 amp out the water? I was also considering a pair of the Audiophonics MPA-M400ET Power Amplifier Class D Mono Purifi 1ET400A 1x400W 4 Ohm. Thanks for any advice!

I have a Hypex waiting for a cabinet, but honestly I really like the ICEpower AS series and think they are underrated

I do like the sound from my 1200as2, but not much I can do at the moment as it continues to be erratic with the switching. Perhaps someone may be able to give me some help in diagnosing my issue. 

Have you looked at the iancanada modules for building a DAC stack on the DIY forum? Seems like the components he offers are top notch. Was waiting on some component boards to get finished and ready to purchase so I can have some options when using different connector types for input and output on my rig.

@erik_squires 

Have you looked at the iancanada modules for building a DAC stack on the DIY forum? Seems like the components he offers are top notch. Was waiting on some component boards to get finished and ready to purchase so I can have some options when using different connector types for input and output on my rig.