Exemplar Denon 2900. WOW Need owner advice.

I am the very happy owner of a Exemplar Denon 2900. What an incredible player. For you other Exemplar owners:

Two questions.

1. Do you leave the unit in "Standby" mode or do a hard shutdown with the main power button? Anyone know what John Tucker recommends? My concern of course is heat and shortened tube life if left in standby.

2. Do you utilize the "pure direct" mode- shutting off video functions? Is it worth it to do so? (My Stereo rig is completely seperate from any video display...to use "Pure Direct" I'll have to drag a monitor in and temporarily connect the Exemplar 2900 to it to shut the video functions off.)

I emailed John Tucker with these questions,but I think he's working 28 hours a day building units- I have'nt heard back from him.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Dan
danlib1
Post removed 
Have you compared it to a McCormack UDP-1. Seems close in price and I was wondering how they compare.
'Ya know, as much as 711smilin tempts me with thoughts of the Exemplar 3910, I gotta say that after listening to my Exemplar 2900 tonight, I don't think I can let that baby go.

If the 3910 is better than that, I'd be unable to go to work.

I've owned a Sony SCD-1, Electrocompaniet, Ayre CX-7, Meridian, various Dacs and Transport combos- but nothing has touched this thing.

I notice one's for sale now on the 'gon. If anyone has cold feet, I'd say to you that the Exemplar unit may delight you as well if you give it a try.
Danlib 1, ya better call me for a bit of conversation, after the shootout tonight at AVGURU's place, I have a lot of interesting FACTS my friend.

Enjoy not going to work, heh heh heh
What's the break-in time to the point where you can listen to the 2900 and
say, OK, let's play?
When is the modified Denon 5910 expected and will you 711Smilin get one, and from where: APL, Exemplar, or Underwood?
There is no mods for the 5910 from Exemplar. It will soon be discontinued.
The 5910 has not been released yet - Denon has it scheduled for Jan. '05.

Ken Golden
What kind of tubes are used in the Denon 2900 and is it normal for the component to periodically snap/pop?
Post removed 
Budrew

I have lots of extra E180CC's, 7062's, 5965's, 12AV7's and can tell you which are the best IMHO.
I actually have not heard the static pop when you press play that some have noticed. The snap/pop that I described is pretty loud and happens randomly. I'm not loooking at the machine when it happens so i can't comment on where specifically it happens within it. I had assumed it might be the casing "snapping" into shape when it warms up. It does not effect the sound at all which is outstanding.
I have found nothing to compare with the Amperex 7062/E180CC pinch waists although they are expensive.

Budrew, if you hear the pop on first turnon with the amps open, I am surprised that you describe it as a pop. I have once done this a got a increasing frequency woop. All Denons I have heard, modified and unmodified, did make a soft pop at the start of the recording.
Post removed 
Me too when I turn it off, which is only when I am gone for a week or so.
Guys, the good news if you decide on the 3910, the static is not there when swtiching songs. As for the tubes, I have found that the PW are best for Jazz, Classical, and I use mullard/phillips/or telefunken for rock. I just like the sound better. But thats me, and I get a kick out of rolling tubes.
Is the 2900 mod transferable to the 3910?
If not, is the cost involved in selling 2900 and buying 3910 plus paying john again, and the wait all worth the improvements?
I know that there are needed variations in the mods for the 3910, meaning that you cannot transfer them from the 2900 to the 3910. I think John Tucker was genuinely surprised that the 3910 outperformed the 2900. He, of course, had no choice but to change to the 3910 as the 2900s were no longer available.

I have yet to receive the Exemplar 3910 and it too will take a long time to break in. 711Smilin may want to better answer your question on the benefits of the modified 3910.
The new version of the Exemplar/Denon 3910 is here. I am told that immediately it is superior to the Exemplar/Denon 2900. I just got it running. Maybe tonight I will hear this.
Unfortunately I am selling my Exemplar 2900. As soon as I am able, I will be buy another one. See my ad and let me know if your interested in buying it. Could be a great sounding holiday season for one of you. Thanks, mp