Ethernet cables

Hello everybody!

I would like to have your opinions about Ethernet cables. I recently saw some silly expensive Ethernet cables! Do you think it is worth spending a huge amount for a cable which transfers data? Your thoughts please! 
Thank you!

128x128thanasakis
There's literally an ocean of different ethernet cables out there, at various price points. And, if you ask what peoples opinions and preferences are in ethernet cables on a forum like this, you're subject to get a thousand different answers. However, at the end of the day, trail and error in your own audio system is the only way to know for certain what sound best in your own audio system. I have found that soliciting ideas recommendations from others can be quite useful and fun. However, at the end of the day (as you probably already know), trail and error is the only way. Happy listening.

Any thoughts on shielded versus unshielded for Ethernet?

I went 'inexpensive' and bought all BlueJeans ethernet cables a few months back, then watched something on YouTube from a face that said Ethernet cables have to have a good screen and it should be connected both ends.....BlueJeans are not shielded and they recommend against it.

RooZe

@rooze

I researched a fair amount before I upgraded my ethernet cables.

Found a few who suggested unshielded Cat6 as the final cable to your streamer.

I have 10m of Blue Jeans Horizontal in-wall Cat6a from my router to my wall outlet (to be installed this month). Settled on Triode Wire Labs ’Freedom’ ethernet cables from wall outlet to switch, and then switch to streamer. The TWL Freedom is unshielded Cat 6, copper cable with Telegärtner RJ45 plugs.

……please correct me if I am wrong here , I do not believe that Cardas buys their cables from another manufacturer. I do believe that they are one of only a few that does manufacture their own cables .  So you might want to look into that statement to see if you are correct .

I have seen videos of Cardas assembling their cables.  They do not draw the wire themselves.  They say the wire is drawn in the Northeast from copper mined in the Southwest.  Perhaps the diagonal (ie from Southwest to Northeast) has something to do with the sound. :)  Good luck finding a video of audio wire being made (drawn).  Everyone holds their cards close to their vest when it comes to turning copper/silver/gold into wire for audio.

Cold welding or crimping is the preferred method for attaching terminals to audio cables.  I can believe that.  Heat based welding could affect the grain structure and temper of the copper wire.  Soldering not so much but that is an expensive process compared to crimping.  I have experience with crimping from my automotive days.  Due to some issues I learned more about crimping wires than I ever cared to learn.  The most important fact is that the crimping process must be very well controlled and closely monitored.  Insufficient crimping leads to oxidation and failure while too much crimping can crack the housing of the terminal leading to even faster oxidation and failure.  That means periodic audits of crimp joints- sectioning and viewing under magnification is required.  Something that I have not seen mentioned by any cable makers in their videos.  In fact I have only seen cable makers using hand crimp tools which have more variation than automation.

The less you flex your cables, the longer they will last.  Stress on the crimp joints can loosen the wires over time.  Proper crimp joints can last hundreds of thousands of cycles.  Less than proper- well, we saw degradation fairly quickly.  The only way to tell if a crimp joint is good is to section it.  

I try not to think about it.  Typing this isn't helping.