Ethernet cables

Long time audiophile here but, more of a rookie regarding streaming. My basic question is should I upgrade my ethernet cables and what price point would be reasonable for my application.

The streamer is in a secondary system and is used only for casual listening. The streamer is hardwired to the system. At this point I do not have a streamer in the main system.

Below is a list of the gear in system 2.

The streamer is a Node 2i with the power supply upgrade from LHY (a DIY kit) sourced from Beatechnik out of Singapore. Not using the internal DAC but, feeding the digital signal to an outboard DAC.

DAC - Luxman DA-06

Preamp -  Simaudio P5.3

Amp - McCormack DNA-500 (yes, way overkill power wise for the system but, I love the very relaxed sound of this amp)

Speakers - Dynaudio Contour 30i

Cables - Primarily Transparent Ultra mm2 generation.

Internet is from my cable provider via coax cable.

There are three short cat 6 ethernet cables (5'). One going from the modem to the router, one from the router to the wall connection for a 100 foot cat 7 run in the attic and one at the system end wall connection to the Node. The short cables are Amazon Basics cat 6. The 100 foot cat 7 was sourced from Amazon with one of those never heard of names - Snanshi which, seems to be fairly decent but, I wouldn't really know.

So, do I upgrade the Amazon Basics cables and if so, what would be a reasonable choice?

Ag insider logo xs@2xmwh777

I just finished replacing all my cat 6 cables, including a 50' run from my router to my setup with cat 8 cables from Amazon. The quality seemed to be excellent and they are very pliable. Both feeds to my net connected gear terminate with iFi LAN Silencers. I haven't really noticed any difference in the sound quality, but a required update to my streamer seemed to be noticeably faster. I also haven't experienced any 'drop outs' in the stream since changing to cat 8, which is what prompted the change in the first place. I was originally using a standard flat ribbon non-shielded 50' cable. Router is a Linksys Max-Stream AC2200. Service feed is from a Verizon Internet Gateway. I use an unmanaged ethernet switch, also from Amazon, at the gear end of the 50' cable.

As far as the cables, since you specified "casual listening" for streaming, other than a lower cost filter, as some have suggested, I wouldn’t spend any money at all for different ethernet cables. I think you would get more benefit from ensuring the existing ethernet cables are separated a several inches away from other electrical cables if run parallel than upgrading them.

I was intrigued by audphile1 suggestion regarding the Lan Silencer. The pictures on Amazon show it placed right behind your streaming component. I get that. 

The question is does it make any sense whatsoever to have two or more of these devices?

I'm not trying to waste money, just wondering. 

Thank you!

Digital don't care about your fancy (read: stupid expensive) cables. You can't improve or make worse 1's and 0's. Why do people believe such nonsense? Oh wait, it's like religion. You have to have faith because there's no science behind it.

I agree with @rcm1203. Replace all your Ethernet with cat8 cables from Amazon. They’re all triple shielded and will definitely improve things. And they’re good for 10G. I changed everything in my house to Phizli. Cost is only pennies more than your average cat6.

I have a 4 server 2 desktop plus Orbi 960 system running up to a full 10G across a Dell 8024F switch. Cleaned up all my streaming stuttering issues too (Sonos) .

Also don’t go with your isp routers. They’re useless and can provide you a decent firewall and high speed at the same time.

I’m possible way above most of what people are using in that I’ve got a 2.5Gb symmetrical fios feed from Ziply (I’m in Washington), use a SonicWall TZ470 for my router/firewall, and use various multi-mode (1/2.5/5/10) and single mode (1G) SFP+ GPICs as the switch is a 24-port SFP+ switch (I use Cisco, SonicWall, Finisar)