Equalizer in a Hi Fi system

Just curious to hear everyone’s opinions on using an equalizer in a high end hi fi system. Was at work tonight and killing time and came across a Schitt Loki max $1500 Equalizer with some very good reviews. What are some of the pros / Benefits and cons in using one. Just curious. BTW. I’m talking about a top of the line. Hi end equalizer. Mostly to calm some high frequencies and some bad recordings. 

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xtattooedtrackman

Funny that some think having an EQ isn't "audiophile" or that it adds something unnecessary to the audio chain...

On the contrary, I'm inclined to DEFINE an "audiophile" as someone who, among other things, recognizes the utility of an EQ.

I use a DBX Driverack 360 and love it. If you’ve never heard of it, pls take the time to research it. You won’t be disappointed. 

I love EQ, and have several studio eqs, but I really only keep one on the output of my phono preamp, for eq'ing vinyl playback. My eq of choice right now is the Vintage Audio M3D Skyline.  It's a 6 band EQ with very wiiiide bands for minimal phase shift.  Plus it has hardwire bypass, and has balanced I/O only.

@tlcocks  I owned the Charter Oak PEQ-1 for several years when it first came out.  I loved the sound of the bands, and the way it operated, but the unit was not totally transparent, even when in bypass.  It's not a true hardwire bypass.

@sudnh  So having an EQ is not high end?  REALLY?  So what about all the mediocre vinyl pressings that I have, that I can make sound amazing by restoring the lost low frequencies, or re-shaping the highs??  Am I supposed to suffer with mediocre playback in the name of purism and following your "high-end" rules against EQ?

Yes, I've read years and years of Stereophile and Absolute Sound diatribe, and always hated that they vilifyied EQ.   Look.... I know I've got a great system with good room acoustics, because when I play well recorded, well mastered records, my system sounds perfect.  But when I put on a record that has about 5 dB of lows rolled off to accommodate 20 minutes per side, why should I have to live with that? I know I can make it BETTER.... Yes I said it.... EQ can make it BETTER, even though I am putting more circuitry in the signal path!  Sorry if that offends the purists.  (actually.... No.... not sorry).    

Memories: I remember installing an equalizer in my car adjusted to a “M” setting.  I also recall my friends home equalizer which had me staring mesmerized by light bar indicators moving up and down to the music.  Hmmm, never thought of searching for a working vintage equalizer…