Electric bill any high

My electric bill has almost doubled since I added streamer and DAC. . How can I reduce consumption?

My Spectral amp and MIT Powerbar are plugged into the wall. My Spectral CD player, Spectral preamp, Aurender Streamer, and Berkeley DAC are plugged into s MIT Powerbar.

My preamp and DAC are always on. As is the Z powerbar. My CD player is on standby. I turn off the amp and streamer.

Is there snythungvi can do or do I just have to pay the Man for this expensive hobby.

Ag insider logo xs@2xasamuelson

A streamer and a DAC shouldn't double an electric bill, unless your bill was $1/ month to begin with.

My 80wpc tube amp only costs about $3/month to run daily.

There's probably something else drawing power such as your A/C, faulty refrigerator(s), etc.  If your A/C is low on refrigerant due to a leak, it will run constantly, trying to keep up, costing $$$.  

I'd look elsewhere for issues with the bill.

Unless you are now listening to music much more often this doesn’t make sense in light of what a whole house’s normal electrical use is. Streamer/DAC/preamp are all pretty low wattage appliances, though I think the Spectral could be a little high, 30-60 watts.

What does make sense is if yo are running your AC more often due to summer heat or a bad fridge or electric water heater. 

If in doubt the way to tell how much power things take is to buy something like this and actually measure the current / power each takes.

Check to make sure your fridge is closing correctly or that your freezer isn't slightly open.