Cream — Stormy Monday

Wanted to share this cause it’s Cream really well recorded. I can’t play their older stuff on the big rig as much as I like it because it’s not well recorded and I just can’t. But I recently found this recorded live in Royal Albert Hall in 2005 that IS well recorded, and it includes possibly the best Clapton guitar solo I’ve heard and one of my faves ever given its combination of intricacy and musicality — and it’s three masters at work. Fun to watch here, but you can pull it off Qobuz, turn the lights way down and be transported to Royal Albert Hall.  Pretty fun.

https://youtu.be/44GHRBBz_eA?si=urk7Z_W0do2bppug

soix

Soulshine is up there w/ the Allman Bros classics w/ great guitar work  & Gregg’s vocal is also outstanding. 

I never got why some of of Cream’s recordings are so poor. It’s a shame because the music is excellent! Their engineers must have been joining  in on the heroin et al….

When I was a senior in hs, I didn’t know what HQ audio was. But, I  thought Creams’s Wheels of Fire sounded great on 8 track while driving around in my dad’s 1966 Sport Fury!

Great post Soix.   It’s too bad a great call out turns into such rubbish that you have to defend your song. LOL. 

To me, the blues has to be bitter and heartfelt. The closest Mr. Clapton came was a live bootleg when he was playing with Mayall. It certainly isn’t audiophile. I think it was the Flamingo Club.

This is not about sonics:

Apologies if already covered in this thread.

To me, the blues has to be bitter and heartfelt.

@whart I respectfully disagree with this.  While the blues started out as a way to express anguish and suffering in the southern United States and can certainly still reflect that, it has morphed over many decades to be much more versatile and translatable to other styles and purpose.  Hell, many of the most popular bands in rock are blues based — Stones, Cream, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Led Zeppelin,  The Allman Brothers, etc., etc., and a lot of their songs aren’t sad at all.  Listen to Keb’ Mo’ — he’s born and raised on the blues in Mississippi and a lot of of his stuff is upbeat while being very blues based while still including songs that represent struggle and hardship.  I’d avoid trying to pigeonhole any type of music because really great music and songs, in my opinion, not only lend themselves but almost beg to be stretched and pulled in different directions to see where they can go.  I for one enjoy the creativity and variation.  But that’s me.