bose 1801 amplifier

i have the chance of buying the bose 1801 amplifier which was part of the 'super bose system' which needed 4 901's! should i buy it???
128x128g_nakamoto
Post removed 
If the first watt isn't any good, why would you want 350 more?
Unless... big meters!

I am not intimately familiar with this amp and only have heard it with Bose 901s over 25 years ago. The name doesnt inspire confidence but only those that have heard this amp with speakers other than the 901 should comment. 
You already have a great amp, why would you want that, unless it was a very good price, or for nostalgia?
Super Bose, the audiophile equivalent of Monty Python's Bicycle Repair Man.
Unable to find YouTube clip. Very disappointed.
   I amp not familiar with that amp. Do you intend to use the amp with 901 speakers? I only ask that because I have some knowledge about the speakers. If they have much age on them then carefully check if the foam surrounds are shot. Not a rare condition with those speakers if they have been in existence for very long. If the surrounds are shot then forget it.

As I have expressed my opinions in the past...........Bose....less that mediocre equipment at inflated prices. Less money is spent for something much better.

I remember that beast.  Had huge rising THD within the audio band, presumably from the designer's belief that since 901s have no tweeters, the hash wouldn't be audible!  Had a monster power supply, lots of SOA to run parallel pairs and handle the EQ requirements.  This was introduced to be used with 901 Series II, which was a sealed box...subsequent models (injection molded vented cabs) were more sensitive, had a less severe bass EQ, and they stopped making this amp.  Don't bother unless you have 2 pairs of Series IIs in good working order, and a room well suited to their proper use!  Will probably sound like a** with any modern high res speaker.
@crustycoot51, i do have 2 pairs of the 901 series 2 speaker. i have it mated to a mcintosh mc602 power amp!
Wasn't the 901 amp built with the eq built in and not defeatable?  If so, not suitable for normal speakers, as was already mentioned, and only the initial sealed versions.  To get the 901 to function, you need a massive "disco smile" EQ curve, since 4.5" drivers don't do bass well, nor high frequencies and must be forced.  Even the later models needed a stout amp to work as designed.