Be Careful With UPS!

Not sure what is going on with UPS, but I bought a used Rotel tuner off of e-bay (1st mistake) last week and it was scheduled for a Friday delivery. I was at home when the UPS truck pulled into my driveway at 6:00 PM. I went outside to meet the driver halfway and could hear him rummaging around in the back of the truck. He emerged finally and said he did not have my package. I went back inside and a few minutes later, I received an email from UPS saying that the delivery had been rescheduled for Monday morning. At 10:30 AM on Monday, I got an email from ebay, saying that my package had been delivered. It had not, and after around two hours of trying to penetrate UPS horribly bad customer service database, found out that someone named Hernandez had signed for the package. I don't know who that is, or where the package was actually delivered to. Plus, no signature was required for my package to begin with. Anyone else out there had a similar experience with UPS?

discnik

Your 1st "HUGE" mistake was to not ensure that the package was shipped "Signature Required." Especially when dealing with scammer latent ebay. When you ship a package signature required, for example, even if UPS shows up at the wrong address with your package, they wouldn’t be able to deliver the package because you wouldn’t be there, with proper ID confirmation, to sign for it, therefore, at the very least,  UPS must hold the package.  

Maybe someone with inside knowledge can confirm UPS capability: I had a package listed as delivered but our Ring doorbell confirmed that UPS had never dropped off the package. After navigating the UPS customer service tree it was communicated that the missing package would be relayed to the driver. The next day our local UPS driver came by to discuss what happened. He showed us a satellite picture (presumably printed from his hub) of our house and neighborhood at the time of delivery with the UPS truck clearly parked outside our neighbor’s residence. He was able to retrieve the package for us while explaining that a different driver had been covering our area since he was on vacation during the initial delivery. 

I was extremely surprised that UPS had this capability and unsure how that’s even possible given the amount of packages that are delivered on a daily basis across the globe. Our delivery driver kind of implied that he wasn’t supposed to show us the images, which piqued our interest even more. 

Heavily dependent on the quality of driver. Been through a few lately with very mixed results. Finally have a good one - for how long I do not know.

I've been shipping with UPS for decades, never had issue like you guys. But I always get shipping insurance and require a signature. That IMO is the key specially on expensive items, above $500 generally. I think its the insurance (this defaults to signature required) that helps push better tracking, delivery reliability, etc.