Anybody heard the new Audiolab 9000CDT yet?

Couldn't find any reviews of this yet, so was wondering if any of you had heard it. Quite new, so maybe patience is required. Apart from the 9000's USB input for playing digital files, I'm particularly interested to hear how/if its sound differs from the 6000CDT, which I once owned but couldn't seem to fall in love with. Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

cooper52

The new 9000CDT looks very nice, though it is priced about $900 more than the 6000CDT.  There is a YouTube video that shows the insides of the unit.

Aside from the heavy aluminum chassis, the drive is a standard Teac 5020, which is good, but nothing outstanding compared with the CD Pro-8 used in the Project RS2 T transport.  The transformer inside looks about the same as the 6000CDT. The 9000CDT still has just 3 voltage regulators with heat sinks, and the board more or less looks like the 6000CDT, but more spread out.  Aside from the weight, heft, and the very nice large color display, I am not seeing too much for the extra $900 that appears to be any really significant upgrade inside.  Lets hope that the actual sonic performance justifies the extra $900.  As an alternate, Schiit audio is soon coming out with a drawer CD transport around the same price range that might be an even better sounding unit.

As a followup, what were your sonic impressions of the 6000CDT, and what did you compare it to for reference?

I have two systems in my house, both have the 6000CDT on them. The key is the DAC. I have a Saturn audio DAC on the main system, and moved the Aqua La-Voce S3 to the basement. Both dacs are in the $4000.00 range. 

My third system out in the garage, i had a Nad CD player out there with an IFI Neo DAC, $1100.00 DAC. When the CD player died my audio dealer told me to buy a good used dvd player. I found a Philips online for $10.00 brand new. Hooked it up, and it sounds as good or better than the NAD did. So the DAC is the key component in my opinion.

I have owned very expensive CD players & transports. The 6000 is tremendous WHEN you compliment it with excellent PC and Coax. I am using Odin 2 coax and Odin 2 Gold PC and quality iso devices all from Ali express

The Schiit Transport has been rumored for a few years now, is there actual official word on it's arrival fastcat95 ?

Fastcat95, my impression of the 6000CDT was that, while it was impressively detailed and spacious, it seemed too thin and clinical. It leeched out the actual music in favor of its component events. It didn't render low frequencies with enough authority compared to the Cambridge Audio CXU (universal disc-player) that I was comparing it to. To be fair, the CXU is not the final word in disc-spinners, but in my configuration, using it as a transport connected to the DAC I was using then, an Abbingdon Music Research DP777, it performs very well indeed. I've since replaced that DAC with a Sonnet Morpheus which is very similar in its presentation, just a bit more (for lack of a better word) analog sounding. 

Some second thoughts: It could be that I never gave the 6000CDT enough time to find its true voice, as I bought it new and maybe didn't put enough hours on it before deciding that it wasn't for me. 

Jl35:  I have heard that the Schiit CD transport may arrive by the end of the first quarter, 2023.  Talking directly to Schiit is useless; they won't comment, even though various pictures have appeared, and comments have been made by the principles at Schiit.

9000CDT has an upgraded laser. The sound difference isnt small between it and the 6000CDT. It sounds very defined ...relaxed and the spacing between voices and instruments are very well done. I have both the 6000CDT too. It doesnt compete with the 9000 at all

@paqua123 

I have a CDT 6000, not using the stock feet, resting on a 2" thick maple board, knockoff: Odin 2 coax + Odin Gold PC, plugged into a CorePower 1800> 20 amp dedicated line. If I have a weak link it might be the Odin 2 coax> I am awaiting an Odin Gold and a Yangsane Pure Silver to compare

How does your hook up compare?

Im using an Audioquest connect not sure which atm heh. It's connected to a Holosprings 3 KTE DAC then from there to a Luxman L507z. It sounds very good to me so far. Ive only  had it for 3 days

And now, just to make things that much more interesting, there's the Schiit Urd to throw into the mix. The Audiolab 9000CDT and the Schiit Urd have features that won't be that useful for me, but they both seem to elevate CD playback significantly. Making the choice will require some real thought, but right now I'm leaning towards the Urd because it can output via AES/EBU, which is the only unoccupied input in my DAC (Sonnet Morpheus). I see I posted my original inquiry way back in January. Things move slowly here...

Check out this thread about the $729 Shanling ET-3 CDT, preferred over the more expensive Schiit Urd.

Shanling ET-3 CD Transport

So if I got it right, you were comparing the Cambridge into the AMR as opposed to the 6000 into the Morpheus?  If so, I think you were hearing more the dac than the transport. The AMR was a great player with a strong bottom end. Is the Sonnet broken in?  

Might not be clear from my original post and the follow-up, but the 6000CDT was running through the AMR DAC, so I could do a direct comparison between it and the Cambridge Audio CXU with the same DAC. I had already parted company with the 6000CDT when I switched to the Morpheus.