Andrew Singer Of "Sound by Singer" passed away yesterday

Andy Singer who owned an audio store in Manhattan and was also a lawyer, passed away yesterday.  I was friends with him on Facebook and found him to be quite a fascinating person.  He was opinionated and was never afraid to speak his mind.  He knew a lot about high end audio and much more.  I will miss him. Rest in Peace Andy.

128x128stereo5

Sorry to hear of his passing. He could be as acerbic as he was opinionated, but he knew high-end audio. Sound by Singer was my introduction to the joys of this hobby. RIP.

I remember going to one of the NYC audio shows in the late 70's. Sound by Singer had a room there in the hotel. Equipment was set up - but NO sound! Visitors commented about this negatively. Why bother setting up an exhibit and refusing to play music? A reflection on the personality of Andrew Singer.

Never met him or went to his store, but the man was an institution in audio equipment retailing. May he rest in peace.

I visited his store from time to time when I live in New York in the late 1970s. It was always a delight -- sort of like when my wife and I perused the street floor of Tiffany's. Here is Andrew's brief obituary:

Andrew Neil Singer - September 16, 1950-April 21, 2024.

Beloved husband of Sandra Felgoise Singer, father to Isabel Singer, and brother to Rickie Singer Peaslee. Andy died the way he lived – fighting fiercely and valiantly against all odds. First an acoustic guitar player, then a lawyer at Skadden Arps, he settled into his career selling high-end audio equipment and became an icon in the field. His goal was to replicate live sound as closely as possible with the use of audio components and systems. A history buff, his knowledge of the civil war often exceeded that of whatever lecturer he was listening to. He had an encyclopedic memory and will be remembered for his brilliance and authenticity.

For those who want to make a donation, please consider a donation to weeksvillesociety.org. Weeksville is an historic site in Central Brooklyn, one of the largest free Black communities in pre-Civil War America. New York, the Civil War, and Freedom are all things that were precious to Andy.