Amp — Leave on or turn off

I always turned my Benchmark AHB2 amp off after use every night. After all, why is there an on off switch on the front panel if not to do that? Last night I accidentally left it on. This morning, when I played my first record, I couldn’t believe my ears. The same record I played last night sounded infinitely better. I tried a second record and that, too, was much better.
I know there’s a debate on the question of leaving an amp on all the time.
I now know where I stand!

128x128rvpiano

It’s not a debate. It’s very much amplifier specific.

I have ICEpower amps and they absoultely need at least 72 hours to sound musical.

My Luxman warms up well in half an hour.

I have no real explanation for why some amps warm up faster than others. I do not believe this has anything to do with the amplifier class (A, A/B or D) either. I do think it probably has something to do with the capacitor types, and maybe how much power they draw at idle. Perhaps the Class D amps, being low power, take a lot longer to warm up because they literally don’t warm up?

I’ve also heard say certain megabuck amps simply don’t sound good until after 48 hours at least.

I think it’s very much specific to the amp.

I notice that my amp sounds better after I eat a croissant.

Coincidence?

Hard to say. ;-)

I have the PS Audio S300 stereo amp and the M1200 monoblocks and was wondering the same thing. Just left a message at PS Audio. Curious to hear what they say.

Well, I called Benchmark and they say there’s no advantage in leaving it on all the time unless you have an investment in the power company.

Guess it’s my imagination or my mood. 
I’m still leaving it on though just in case.  
The technician says it makes no difference as it draws very little current.

@rvpiano   Would you leave your car running when you're not using it?  Wouldn't really hurt it but would be illogical.  The same applies to your amp IMHO.  Everything has a natural lifespan and heat is no friend to electronics.  Unless someone can show me how an amp benefits by being left on, I follow the manufacturer's advice and turn it off.  But not everyone agrees.  Cheers.