Adcom GFP-555 II

I have had this pre-amp for maybe 30 years paired with two GFA-555s the input/listening switch has static into the left channel intermittently and needs to be wiggled back and forth to eliminate the static. Is this easy to replace? Need soldering to replace? Does anyone know of a good repair shop in the Phoenix area?

ramm440

agree, cleaned not necessarily replaced...may as well clean all the switches while you're at it

I have from the outside pulling the knob and felt but still there. Do I need to go internal to do this on a gfp 555 II?

Don't know about your area but I would contact Jon Morris in Wyoming if you need to service your Adcom, I purchased a rebuilt 545 from him which is just spectacular

PM me if you want the details

Ramm, I've had the 565 since new and haven't had a problem, but...  Looking at the responses I thought it best to chime in.  To clean the switch is probably all that's needed but you have to open it up.  The switches are located on the rear of the circuit board and are operated by a flexible ribbon from the front panel.

I appreciate all the input from everyone and will take the time to go internally with some tuner spray to see if this remedies the intermittent static at the listening selector switch. Tech3149 your saying the cleaning may be needed at the rear of the circuit board not directly into the manual selector switch behind the faceplate? I guess I will understand better what saying after I go inside.

I had this exact problem with my Adcom preamp.  My advise is that it is time to UPGRADE!.  Adcom was always an economy brand and there is so much better out there.You will thank me.

Ramm, the actual switch is mounted on the circuit board.  The front panel is just a mechanical actuator.  Hope that helps.

Hello,

I have been told by my repair center to move the pot or switch 100 times in full rotation or back and forth  a lot of these are self lubricating  if that does not work look up Deoxit on YouTube  you can buy this online  a little goes a long way so use it sparingly  I hope this helped  

Hello, 

Fix it first, then sell or trade it in. There is a kind of cult following with Adcom. Plus, it is an inexpensive way to get some good equipment. 

Thanks any desired pre amps for 2 gfa 555s with some big Polk and yamaha speakers you recommend?

Tech3149…Did the deoxit and no more static! Thanks … I see what you meant about the mechanical switch and slide ribbon now… bought this new in 1989. Not sure if I should use the main or bypass output. Is the sound much cleaner on bypass?