6922 Tube Question

I need to replace a pair of tubes in my VAC Signature.  They are 6DJ8 6922's.  Though I've had tubed pre-amps for years, this is my first tube replacement.  So I have a real newbie question.  Are all 6922's interchangeable?  Can I use any 6922 or must they be 6DJ8 6922's?

ps - ya, I know, bad time to need tubes given the world situation.

Ag insider logo xs@2xyellowstone

Yes they are the same! You can also use the ones listed below!

The 6DJ8 is a miniature nine-pin medium gain dual triode vacuum tube. It is distinguished by its very high transconductance, mostly the result of its frame grid construction. Versions of the tube are named ECC88, E88CC, 6922, E188CC, CV4108, 7308, 6N1P and 6N23P.

@yellowstone Below is the link from Brent Jessee’s audiotubes website - it will give you some insights into the 6922 tube & its equivalents, and sound of brands if you are going NOS. Be worth a quick review(I am not affiliated with BJ , only a customer)

https://www.audiotubes.com/6dj8.htm

Technically the 6922 is a ruggedized, mil grade designation.   Yes they are interchangeable but some 6dj8 won’t hold up in some newer CJ or any Audible Illusions preamps.    I had some nice 1964 Mazda 6dj8 that did not last that long in my CJ.    6922 Gold Lion I have yet to have one die .   Same goes for a Reflector 6n23eb, last a long time in my experience.

6dj8=ecc88=cv5358

6922=e88cc=cv2492=6n23p(Russian)=

6n11(Chinese)=cca=cv2493

7308=e188cc=6n23p-ev=cv4108

All in 6922 & 7308 family are interchangeable and if your circuit permits then and any of the 6dj8 ones.

6np1 (6np1-ev) is a different tube and most likely a modification in circuit is needed.

Ive used JJ and think they sounded good in my gear but it took buying 3 before finding one quiet enough for my preamp.   The other 2 are fine in my amp's driver position.

They are interchangeable but not the same entirely. As oddio points out, the 6922 and 7308 are special 10,000 hour versions of a 6DJ8. My experience is that you will get a shorter life with a 6DJ8, but perhaps not enough to warrant the difference in price. Many say they think the 6922 sounds better than the 6DJ8. I have less experience with the sound of the 7308.

RAM Tubes has excellent computer matched ultra low noise 6922 for reasonable $.

@clio09  should be able to help you.

just a very happy customer…

jim

ECC88/6dj8 and E88CC/6922 have different maximum current specs with the latter being able to withstand higher levels.

Probably best to ask the designer/manufacturer as to what will "last well/longer" in a specific unit, and if this is not possible then perhaps confer with a reputable tube dealer and/or a forum with knowledgable experts (diyaudio?) who may be able to offer advice.

Think there may be a few exceptions (regarding longevity) like early Telefunken CCA's (a 6dj8 as I understand it), but I may be wrong on this.

In addition there is also the E188CC/7308 that is said to be even more durable (in higher current circuits) than the  E88CC/6922, but I'm too lazy to look up the spec's on all the, above mentioned, versions.

In the Audion/Consonance gear I've owned/used I was able to use 6dj8's in place of the specified 6922's without premature failure, but in a friends Audible Illusions preamp I ended up using extremely durable Russian 6n23-EV's and Telefunken 7dj8's (phono section) which lasted for many years (wasted/trashed some old production 6dj8's and 6922's experimenting, but I had gobs on hand @ that time).

Neither of us liked the sound of old production 7308's in the pre, so those were spared the long term test (ended up selling many of them here on A'Gon and on Ebay).

DeKay

I don’t think that you should have much of a problem finding 6922s or 6DJ8s. I see that Cary Audio is selling Amperex Bugle Boys 6DJ8s for $80 each.

(On edit: I am not affiliated w/ Cary Audio except as a past customer.)

https://www.caryaudio.com/vacuum-tubes-and-accessories/

Another option (which I now see was already mentioned by @dekay ) that someone turned me on to a couple of years ago that you might consider is the Voskhod 6N23. It’s a Soviet era tube; I am actually running a couple in the front of my 6922 Cary V12 right now.

Yes the 6CG7 family is a wonderful tube type. Got to be careful if you are not using it as a driver however. I would never put a 6CG7/6FQ7 in a highly sensitive application. Same for 12BH7s,

In addition there is also the E188CC/7308 that is said to be even more durable (in higher current circuits) than the  E88CC/6922, but I'm too lazy to look up the spec's on all the, above mentioned, versions.

The 6922 is considered a premium tube vs. the 6DJ8. It has a more rugged build quality and meets military demands. To my ears, they sound the same for a given brand.

The 7308 is truly a premium tube and has different sonics than the other variants. IME with the help of Brent Jessee, we tried 6922 US Amperex and Amperex Holland in my new DAC, the US having more detail and extension, neither had enough low-end punch. I next tried the Amperex PQ Holland 7308. The price was quite a bit higher due to rarity, but this tube had everything I was looking for. The heater of a 7308 draws 7 volts while the 6DJ8/6922 draws 6.3V, but is a drop-in replacement. Both the 6922 and 7308 are capable of lasting 10,000 hours.

6FQ7 for me.

Not the same tube at all. Different gain, voltage ratings, and bottle length.

It is a 6SN7 in a 9 pin bottle.

6np1 (6np1-ev) might worth a try even though it is not an exact match to 6922 or 6DJ8. My phono preamp comes with 6np1 Russian tubes, but the designer of the preamp also suggests to use 6922 or 6DJ8 tubes. Actually, I prefer 6np1-ev tubes over bugle boy 6DJ8 on my phono preamp. They may be the cheapest 6922-ish tubes you can find.