YouTube star Jay loves McIntosh MC 901 amplifier

Just released, a really good 19 minute video explaining the MC 901 amplifier, which is used to biamp tube amplifier to the mid range and Tweeter and the solid state portion of the amplifier to the BASS drivers. jay is in love with this amplifier and believes it’s woefully under priced for the value received. One of the best amplifiers hes ever heard and that says a lot coming from Jay who’s heard so many amplifiers.

Only negatives were that it does run hot and is kind of heavy and you need a special amplifier stand but those are hardly meaningful concerns. The overheating that he experiences is because he’s in a small garage with poor ventilation and in Florida which I hear gets very hot.

McIntosh is now in love with Jay as this is probably the best review that’s been done and there aren’t many on this amplifier because it’s unusual and people don’t understand how the amplifier works. It’s quite simple, tubes do better at the upper end drivers and solid state does better for the lower end drivers. Not too many people really dispute this

I use the MC 901 and they are amazing amplifiers. I’ve upgraded some of the tubes and curiously McIntosh says it’s unnecessary because they’re amplifiers make crappy tubes sound just as good as really nice tubes. Jay mentions this in his video. I need to upgrade more tubes but going to a few better tubes helped so I’m not sure where McIntosh is coming from.

He says he’s gonna keep these amplifiers for the long term which for him is 10 days but I could be wrong

emergingsoul

jetter

+ 1

The negativity is extreme, mostly based on reaction to a few YouTube posters that get extrapolated to everyone. It is very similar to all prejudiced and racist tirades. 

Other adjectives for these sermons:

envious, intolerant, skeptical, sanctimonious, presumptuous, superior, pretentious, self-assertive, disdainful

But, then again, they may be right. What do I know?

I too followed Jay when he was here since his beginnings. Jay does not know the difference between a sax and a tuba, nor is interested in how these instruments are played (musicianship, composition). This has been my primary criticism with Jay, and he has admitted it. I have learned to accept this, as Jay is not alone with this. He is providing entertainment to his followers (I am assuming) and no one else is talking about this expensive, esoteric gear as he is. Whatever you and I say about him, he has come a long way. He is the ultimate equipment (gear) junkie, so more power to him. MrD.

There’s an old thread here on Agon, where he talks about all the amps he has had and there’s been A LOT! Jay figured out he could make some extra bucks on YT and the thread has closed at his request.  With almost 21k of posts, there’s a lot of fun and educational posts there if you’re interested.