You're not a true audiophile unless...

I can't tell you the number of posts I've seen that start with something like this. Why are some people so anxious to qualify this like it's some sort of title? Being an "audiophile" isn't a concrete or objective thing like the citizenship of the country you were born in or being an MA. It's reflective of your hobby or taste, much like calling yourself a "foodie." Can anyone else chime in with some of the more ridiculous qualifications people have come up with for calling oneself an "audiophile?"

medium_grade

I think audiophile bites the blowhard wiener, I prefer enthusiast ! 
Cheers 🔊

A true Audiophile builds the best system they can affford , and never is finished 

say  a new dac comes out that's very popular , or maybe you want to upgrade your Loudspeakers.I have been into Audio since the mid 1970s  and it never ends 

the closest you can get to the real event is the ultimate goal.

The Etymology of the word means "audio lover".  Based on that I'd say an audiophile is just that- a music lover who seeks to elevate the listening experience of his favorite music. 

You enjoy recorded music enough to also enjoy accumulating the tools needed to make listening to it a more refined experience. You may actually be having fun doing that.