Would like to try a tube preamp after years of solid state and hybrid

I would like to replace my Counterpoint SA-1000 preamp of which I am the original owner.  I have never been satisfied with it.  I bought it as a replacement for a Hafler DH-100 pre that I bought to go with a Hafler DH-220 amp.  (I still like the amp, more so after I recapped it and upgraded a few parts.)  I did a total recap of the Counterpoint and replaced some of the rca jacks, along with a few other small things, but still find it to sound congested and dull.  In my opinion, it didn’t live up to the positive reviews that it received when it was released, but it served well in a secondary system.  My primary system makes use of an Aragon 24k preamp and 4004 amp which I find to be an acceptable level of performance.  I am using all digital sources at the moment, a JVC XL-Z1050 cd player or MacBook Pro through a Weiss DAC204.  The speakers are B&W Cm1/CM2.  Yes, with the exception of the DAC, it is all from around the same vintage.  You might be able to guess, but I have chosen components which produce a clean and crisp sound.  I am at the point that I would like to experiment with a completely different sound in the form of an old school, or near old school, tube preamp.  

I have been doing as much research as I can, including many thoughts from the Audiogon community, and have narrowed my choices down to the following few that are available right now, but open to other suggestions as I’m not in any rush.  I’m not a super-critical listener, but I have music training and experience, so I know what instruments and performances sound like live.  My budget is $2,000 or less plus trade value for the Counterpoint, and my goals are to get something that sounds obviously like a tube component.  I would like to equal or exceed the performance of the 24k in case I like the tubes better.  A phono stage is not required, but welcome.  I don’t like designs that have exposed tubes or showy facades (McIntosh, Zesto, PrimaLuna, etc).  I would like to get some guidance from the forum members.  

Conrad-Johnson PV 5, PV 10, PV 11, or other

Audible Illusions Modulus L3 or M3

Cary SLP-70

VAC Standard LE

Joule Electra LA-150 (in spite of the fact that they are out of business)

Audio Research (although I can’t decipher which model to consider - LS7, LS17, LS25?)

If I choose something newer, perhaps Quicksilver, AVA, Modwright, or Brown Audio Lab, but these might not sound ad "tubey" as the older units.

I understand that the older preamps might require some amount of rehabilitation, some of which I can do.  Nothing is a sure bet, but I would appreciate your input.

Thanks for any input, and best wishes!

charliehorse

Find an Audio Research SP-6B.  It's a 40+ year-old classic tube preamp that still holds its own,

I still have the sa-1000 and feel the same about it my other system with Maggie speakers has the Shindo monbrison.  I love Shindo considering moving up its line and would put it up against any of the other players.  The entry preamp Aurieges is well regarded and close to ur budget. I believe it has a high output impedance.  So Definitely try to take into account synergies where demoing at home is possible.  Some come across analytical and some on the warm side 

have fun 

I have the same speakers in one of my systems.  I’m using a Manley Shrimp preamp paired with a W4S ST500 amp.  The Manley has more of a tube sound than my VAC Renaissance but less than my Cary integrated.  No remote with the standard Shrimp but the Jumbo Shrimp has one.

I am overwhelmed in a good way with all of the responses, and I am learning new things.  My list of possibilities seems to be growing instead of getting narrowed down.  Your responses have given me the opportunity to look at some specific equipment that I'm not familiar with.  I got the Counterpoint out of the box today to give it the once over and to prepare it for sale.  I hooked it up in the place of the Aragon 24k, and my impression is the same as what I remembered.  It sounds better than stock, but is still lacking some aspects.  I might still be happy with it if I didn't have something better.  So the search is definitely still on.

@rhljazz-Your mention of the Manley certainly got my attention, thanks!  I am still looking seriously at conrad-johnson.  Cary Audio still seems like a good option.  Two mentions of ARC 6(B)!  I am starting to consider that a somewhat newer model might be in the sweet spot between the older and newer versions of tube sound.  These include the Van Alstine FET Valve CF, Backert Labs Rhumba, Mapletree Audio, and possibly one of the kits(?).  Keep any thoughts coming if anyone feels inclined.  I am very grateful for all of the replies so far!

Carry on Good Citizens!

If you have a limited budget I would pursue a used component to allow you to reach up to a higher level of component.  I had a solid-state amp which I upgraded to a tube amp.  If you want tube sound this is the area to get it .   I think you need to develop a shorter list of possibilities

. Otherwise buy a puppy