Why do we demand so much from our systems?

When I was in college a while back I was very happy with my system. I played records and I also had a cassette player from Kenwood. I wasn't interested in it sounding better because it was very satisfying.

Fast-forward to current times, Systems are more revealing and detail is a lot better than it used to be which I'm not sure is such a good thing. And I say this because it seems that as our systems improve as well as recordings improve we seem to be getting more demanding and becoming more and more unsatisfied with whatever we listen to.

Is it possible to be satisfied  with anything these days??

emergingsoul

I have been upgrading my systems since college… fifty years. I have been very happy at every stage. I do not upgrade because I am unhappy but because my subconscious notices that I can afford to upgrade and I get curious on how much better it can be. Upgrade after upgrade has conditioned me to realize there is alway better when I can afford it. 

" And I say this because it seems that as our systems improve as well as recordings improve we seem to be getting more demanding and becoming more and more unsatisfied with whatever we listen to."

Speak for yourself!

@koh_i_noor …”Spending more and more chasing that initial high…”

Not me. I get many years of appreciation every time I sit down and listen. 

Sometimes a major part of this hobby is exploring. Since our hobby is niche high-end it can be costly.

Contentment vs Curiosity - we are all different