WHY CABLES MATTER!

I have seen the argument over and over again on why cables matter and the that wire is just wire and how scientifically it’s impossible for them to make a difference. The thing that surprises me the most is that different materials are used. Different shielding is used. Different connectors are used. Different braiding methods of the cables are used. Materials are sourced from different manufacturers and put through different creative processes but I always get some guy who comes on and says. WIRE IS WIRE AND YOU ARE NOT HEARING WHAT YOU ARE HEARING? To me it’s pure arrogance to think you know more than everybody else to the point where you tell me what we are hearing through my ears and we are not smart enough to know when are minds are playing trick on us. But using all these different materials, process and shielding and creative processes don’t make a difference. I spent the last 15 years trying all the cables I could try.  Thoughts anyone?

calvinj

My 2 cents from recent upgrades. 

Changed speaker cable from Analysis Plus Chocolate Oval to a double strand of their Black Mesh Oval 9 gauge. Big difference. I had long runs and some of the effect may be due to Bowie if more than cable choice, but a worthwhile upgrade.

I already had XLR balanced SR Foundation IC between amp and preamp, but as prior Streamer/DAC had only single post out, was using SR Foundation RCA IC between streamer and pre, and kept it that way when I got my current Gustard X26 Pro DAC. I finally got a SR Foundation SX balanced cable, and SQ definitely improved a bit - noticeably, not a lot, but enough that it was worthwhile IMO.

When I got the new DAC, I auditioned 6 different cables, and was surprised to hear that they all sounded different, and sadly the Shunyata Alpha sounded best with my gear (fortunately found one used on EBAY). Again when I had my Innnuos Phoenix USB reclocker between my streamer and DAC, I thought I would probably could get away with a cheaper cable fro

streamer

to reclocker, and auditioned half a dozen cables again. Again they sounded different, and from what I heard, it still made sense interms if SQ to get another Shunyata Alpha. All my other cabling and power cords are SR, so to the extent I had bias, I would have expected to have heard the SR USB cable sounding better, but still heard the Shunyata as better.

Stereo System 2024

Amp: Bryston 4B3 300 w x 2

Pre:   Parasound Halo P6

Speakers: Tannoy Cheviots, Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9 gauge biwired cables (21’ run)

Digital Streamer/Source: Heavily modified BlueSound NODE 130 (added Fidelity Audio clock board & LPSU)/ Innuos Phoenix USB/ Gustard X26 Pro DAC (connected by Shunyata Alpha USB cables.

All other interconnects: Synergistics Research Foundation or better

Power: Power conditioner: Synergistics Research Powercell 10 SE Mk 3 w SR Atmosphere level 3 cord; All power cords SR Foundation

Hi @smurfstain - it’s been awhile since the last post, but if you’re still following this thread, I wanted to tell you I had a similar experience to yours when I first started out about five years ago. I didn’t really know what I wanted, what was truth or just talk, what actually made a difference to sound quality, or even what sound quality meant. I just knew I wanted facts and truth.

You know, whenever audiophiles say to use your ears to decide for yourself, they’re actually saying something a lot more profound - it’s not always just colloquialism at play.

You see, getting into hifi audio is much like getting an education, albeit one in listening, and hearing. In a similar way photographers learn how to ‘see’ better, an audiophile learns how to hear, and listen better, for nuance, inflection, and above all, timing. And as with a typical education, one cannot just head straight to college, or university - one would not understand a thing that’s going on in there, not having first been through grade school, middle school, and the rest of it. A ‘good’ education builds a solid foundation for all that is  to come.

So, I just started with the purchase of a well-regarded and somewhat affordable cd transport, a DAC, a solid state amplifier (all three from the same manufacturer, ps audio), and speakers that I’d understood could be placed flush against the walls. As with you, I really only wanted to hear the music i had in my extensive cd collection the way it was meant to be heard, through a sound system of ‘quality’. And it was good enough, Basic ‘lamp wire’ cables and all - my most invested cable was the i2s from ps audio to connect transport to DAC - I was shocked that it cost two hundred and twenty five US dollars. But I loved what I was hearing from my system - I was right there, every single evening, listening to my cds in a way I’d never heard them before - that was how good it all sounded : ) 

However, just a day or two into my journey/education, I began to feel that something didn’t sound right, glorious as it was. There was something in there that did not sound realistic, that the performers sounded distant, like a thin cloth separated me from the music. In between my nightly music sessions, I read about nearfield listening, and realised I was sitting in the incorrect location for the specific configuration of my room. A secondary, vital issue involved the design of  my speakers - the Larsen speakers I had bought had been claimed to do away with early reflections for the perfect balance between fitting well into a lounge space, and delivering high quality sound, to the disadvantage of indirect tweeter dispersion. Like many who first started in our hobby, I didn’t want a dedicated listening room with speakers pulled well out away from walls, and I really did not want acoustic panels and room treatments, having read that such is possible with very specifically configured spaces, and under specific listening position locations. Definitely not perfect, but I wasn’t looking for perfection, now, was I?

Sitting nearfield sorted out the realism….for the next week.

I realised shortly after, that I wasn’t hearing the crispness of piano key strikes the way they sound in real life. This particular lack of realism would set me on the ultimate quest which would last the next four years. In the meantime, I got slightly better crispness if I held my head closer to each speaker, Larsens being as undirectional as they are designed to be. And I knew I had to get a more directional speaker for the listening space I was in, and something that would violate my need to have speakers placed flush against the wall. Damn.

And that’s how my education began, as I’m sure many others also have. I moved to the greater cost/realism benefits of a tube amplifier for the depth of sound I wasn’t hearing, and the realistic timbre of voice and instruments my poor solid state amplifier was not delivering. It’s been four years now, many many speaker demos in that listening space and that of my second system and five times as many demos for DAC;, six speakers I’ve bought and three I kept; all kinds of cabling have come in and gone back out; and I’m back to a solid state amplifier, coupled with a solid state preamp that sound more realistic than the many tube amps from CJ, airtight, Aries Cerat, and audio research I’ve demoed for days at any time, in my systems in their specific listening spaces, and with my own ears. The two things that havent changed are my nearfield listening position, and listening spaces with no early reflections - these resolve the most fundamental problems with room acoustics

And that’s the thing, you see, as with an education (demos aside), one can’t return any of it. You cannot just decide you didn’t need kindergarten, really; or primary school with all that basic shit, or even secondary school after that, to just head straight to college. None of the school fees you paid for can be reimbursed, none of your time refunded, not one school bag or school book may be returned. 

Everything was simply part of the education. And sure, your parents might have wanted you to go all the way, but at no time did I think I wanted to finish kindergarten for my primary education, or that for secondary school. I could have dropped out at any time, in fact, leading a life no different from the many others who did so, and are perfectly happy with theirs.

The kicker is, our audio journey is unlike that of education in only one most critical way - we don’t need a parent or someone else to decide for us where to stop. What we do have is our own pure desire to hear and listen more, the limits of ability to develop technical skill in building our listening environments and/or modifying equipment or making our own, and the limits of a bank account - to hell with anyone else who has decided to do it a different way.

So, audio forums, reviews, technical knowledge, measurements, can tell you a lot - together, they create the basis for where you might want to take your next step, or not bother anymore, but nothing alone can tell you where to go or the correct decision to make - and that is what is meant by listening with your own ears, and finding your own decisions. It can be affordable, but do know that getting to a college education, expensive as it may be, is far easier than self-learning to the same degree and level. For most, self-learning takes far greater skill and ability than most of us could ever dream of having - kudos to those blessed few.

In friendship, kevin.

Enjoy your confirmation bias cables. The snake oil companies that sell them to you certainly appreciate your hard earned money. 

kevn

You see, getting into hifi audio is much like getting an education, albeit one in listening, and hearing. In a similar way photographers learn how to ‘see’ better, an audiophile learns how to hear, and listen better, for nuance, inflection, and above all, timing. And as with a typical education, one cannot just head straight to college, 

Everyone new to hi-fi audio should know what they are getting into. 1st thing they should know is all audio systems in the world sound un-natural. Whatever people pay (money and effort) for the audio gears, it won't get remotely close to the original music. If they knew the hi-fi audio sounds un-natural, people won't be frustrated so much with the audio sound.

However, just a day or two into my journey/education, I began to feel that something didn’t sound right, glorious as it was. There was something in there that did not sound realistic, that the performers sounded distant, like a thin cloth separated me from the music

That thin cloth (sound coloration, glare, veil) between you and the speaker will be always there. In below video, all audio systems in the world behave like a left speaker which is veiled. If you say anything while your audio system playing, you will hear similar sounds like the left speaker.  Alex/WTA

So this video, which we are listening to on our phones/computer is supposed to show us how bad music reproduction is by comparing it to a natural voice speaking at the same time- through our computer/iphone speaker. Mr. Spock would say that is illogical. That speaker sounds bad with or without his natural voice talking over it. That much I can hear on my iPad.

I have and so has everyone else heard people talking in front of their speakers and they still sound great, fantastic, realistic.

If an outdoor PA speaker is your idea of hifi no wonder the low opinion of the art.

Just another sham.

If hifi really sounded so bad the industry would have died out long ago.

In 1910, Thomas Edison marketed his new phonograph with stage shows. He had his phonograph and a live singer on stage behind a thin curtain. He would have the singer perform or he might play a record on his phonograph and then ask the audience to decide if the performance was live or was it the recording. He sold a lot of phonographs. And they weren‘t cheap.