Where Do I Go from Here?

As I neared my 75th birthday, I decided that it was time for my “end game” audio system. Thus, for the past 2-1/2 years, I have slowly and carefully upgraded my sources, my amplification, and my cabling – with very pleasing results. At this time, I have:

Digital – Bricasti M19 SACD transport and M21 DAC; Shunyata Sigma V2 Ethernet and DH Labs Air Matrix Cryo analog interconnect cables.

Analog – Technics SL-1200G turntable w/Ortofon headshell; Hana SL cartridge; Cardas Clear Cygnus phono cable; PS Audio Stellar phono amplifier; Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect cables.

Amplification – Theta Digital Casablanca V preamplifier; McIntosh MC611 mono amplifiers (L, C, & R); Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables and Eclipse 8 analog interconnects.

Currently, I own Revel Ultima Studio (L & R) and Voice (center) loudspeakers as well as two SVS SB-16 subwoofers. I purchased all three Revel speakers in 2004, and they have served me well for the past 20 years. Except when listening to multi-channel SACD for watching Blu-ray concerts, I only use my main left and right speakers. My media room has four walls and a door; its size is around 6,000 cubic feet.

What I have been wrestling with is whether, given my other equipment (which I have no intent on replacing), I should buy new speakers and, if so, which should I consider. Recently, for example, I listened to a pair of Rockport’s Avior IIs, albeit using source components and amplifiers different than mine. They seemed perhaps better in some regards, but not so much so as to make a compelling case to purchase them as an upgrade. Another friend, who just acquired his PS Audio FR30 speakers, is urging me to consider buying a pair of the FR30s.

There certainly are numerous speaker lines out there. Consequently, I decided to post my “dilemma” here and invite others to provide their suggestions (ideally with their reasoning). My absolute top budget is $50K. However, this purchase would be funded by my retirement savings, and I certainly would prefer spending less. Also, maybe the better course is to keep my Revels and be happy and content with what I already have.

Many thanks for your reading this entire posting.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjmeyers

@czarivey 😁

I've only had a real earring once and it was only for a few hours. Too many beers one night in college.  Lol. 

@ltmandella I have the stereo going for a couple of hours every night while I work out. My listening room is adjacent to the exercise room. I don't play it loud. Along with the ringing, my ears are real sensitive to loud noises. People talking loudly or my 5 year old granddaughter squealing, for example. I can't hear well in a loud croud. 

I've tried going off caffeine. Didn't help. Just gave me a headache. 

@jmeyers 

What components were being used when you heard the Avior ii speakers? I have the Avior ii as well and they are phenomenal. Good luck in your search! 

Congratulations on building a beautiful system. 

So it sounds like neither of three dealers want to do an in-home trial which I do believe is both worth doing and justified at this price point  

I’m not in the market for speakers, but did recently hear some Pearlstein At my local T+A Dealer when buying my DAC 200 recently…. I would like to hear them in my home one day

You can do that with a 60 day home trial from https://audiolab.com/product/perlisten-s7t-floor-standing-tower-speakers/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw74e1BhBnEiwAbqOAjF-Ybp13SaC8-jJqLqQfeeF2rhkNg76uon2GTAHr3p84ryO09aJlXRoC330QAvD_BwE

Considering your budget versus the cost of these speakers, you can certainly afford to pay return shipping on a couple of different choices from Internet dealers like this, considering no one “ Local to you” Wants to play ball…

I’m planning a drive to Colorado to check out the PS Audio speakers. I’d like to get the FR30’s, but I might have to get the 20’s, because my room isn’t all that big.

I’ll let you know what I end up with and why.

You can't have too many speakers.  I would take $10k of your money and use it just for you journey.  Go and listen to as much and many as you possibly can.  I believe I currently have somewhere around 10 pairs of different speakers.  They all have their own voice.  A few years ago I was visiting my son in San Diego and my wife and son humored me and allowed me to visit a stereo store.  They had a room with a million dollar system set up.  It sounded really nice, but it didn't curl my toes.  They also had some speakers that were in the $10-$20k range.  Total toe curlers.  We all have unique ears.  Take the time and find a toe curler.