Where Do I Go from Here?

As I neared my 75th birthday, I decided that it was time for my “end game” audio system. Thus, for the past 2-1/2 years, I have slowly and carefully upgraded my sources, my amplification, and my cabling – with very pleasing results. At this time, I have:

Digital – Bricasti M19 SACD transport and M21 DAC; Shunyata Sigma V2 Ethernet and DH Labs Air Matrix Cryo analog interconnect cables.

Analog – Technics SL-1200G turntable w/Ortofon headshell; Hana SL cartridge; Cardas Clear Cygnus phono cable; PS Audio Stellar phono amplifier; Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect cables.

Amplification – Theta Digital Casablanca V preamplifier; McIntosh MC611 mono amplifiers (L, C, & R); Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables and Eclipse 8 analog interconnects.

Currently, I own Revel Ultima Studio (L & R) and Voice (center) loudspeakers as well as two SVS SB-16 subwoofers. I purchased all three Revel speakers in 2004, and they have served me well for the past 20 years. Except when listening to multi-channel SACD for watching Blu-ray concerts, I only use my main left and right speakers. My media room has four walls and a door; its size is around 6,000 cubic feet.

What I have been wrestling with is whether, given my other equipment (which I have no intent on replacing), I should buy new speakers and, if so, which should I consider. Recently, for example, I listened to a pair of Rockport’s Avior IIs, albeit using source components and amplifiers different than mine. They seemed perhaps better in some regards, but not so much so as to make a compelling case to purchase them as an upgrade. Another friend, who just acquired his PS Audio FR30 speakers, is urging me to consider buying a pair of the FR30s.

There certainly are numerous speaker lines out there. Consequently, I decided to post my “dilemma” here and invite others to provide their suggestions (ideally with their reasoning). My absolute top budget is $50K. However, this purchase would be funded by my retirement savings, and I certainly would prefer spending less. Also, maybe the better course is to keep my Revels and be happy and content with what I already have.

Many thanks for your reading this entire posting.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjmeyers

As always some great questions and suggestions here.  I agree with others I wouldn't spend anywhere near that kinda cash without in home audition with your. own gear and environment. Maybe buy used and compare head to head with existing units and sell the ones you dont like.   You could roll through several pair of great speakers used with that kind of budget. 

Good luck in landing where you want to be. you have a very nice system. I spent somewhere around your budget, not too long ago on Sonos  Faber Il Cremonese Speakers and have been very pleased. But as others have said, for that kind of money there is a big universe of very competent, well-made speakers. While hearing them in your room is certainly ideal, auditioning speakers in the dealers showroom is still helpful. I am also a big fan of Revel And I suspect those are doing a good job for you now.

I will echo (pun intended) A previous comment about room treatments. Coincidentally, I just got finished with a room treatment project in my listening room today. Frankly, I was skeptical of how much I would gain. I am pleasantly surprised. I didn’t think I had a bad room but the difference is quite significant and well worth the money. I have auditioned a number of tweaks, such as filters, audiophile switches, etc., and just have not heard enough difference, to my ears, to justify the money. So the improvement from the room treatments was greater than expected, and the cost, of course, would be far less than you sre talking about spending for speakers. Something to consider.

Good luck!

@sls883, you've made me to write a joke about 

What kind of gifts audiophiles get after they turn 60+?

Earrings!

@sls883

How many hours per day, how many days per week, and how loudly do you listen?

I had what I felt was severe tinnitus.  Then I took a one month break from listening.  Shocked the hell out of me: the tinnitus is now 90% gone.

So, now I listen at lower volume and less hours daily and the tinnitus has not yet returned...