Where Do I Go from Here?

As I neared my 75th birthday, I decided that it was time for my “end game” audio system. Thus, for the past 2-1/2 years, I have slowly and carefully upgraded my sources, my amplification, and my cabling – with very pleasing results. At this time, I have:

Digital – Bricasti M19 SACD transport and M21 DAC; Shunyata Sigma V2 Ethernet and DH Labs Air Matrix Cryo analog interconnect cables.

Analog – Technics SL-1200G turntable w/Ortofon headshell; Hana SL cartridge; Cardas Clear Cygnus phono cable; PS Audio Stellar phono amplifier; Wireworld Eclipse 8 interconnect cables.

Amplification – Theta Digital Casablanca V preamplifier; McIntosh MC611 mono amplifiers (L, C, & R); Wireworld Silver Eclipse 8 speaker cables and Eclipse 8 analog interconnects.

Currently, I own Revel Ultima Studio (L & R) and Voice (center) loudspeakers as well as two SVS SB-16 subwoofers. I purchased all three Revel speakers in 2004, and they have served me well for the past 20 years. Except when listening to multi-channel SACD for watching Blu-ray concerts, I only use my main left and right speakers. My media room has four walls and a door; its size is around 6,000 cubic feet.

What I have been wrestling with is whether, given my other equipment (which I have no intent on replacing), I should buy new speakers and, if so, which should I consider. Recently, for example, I listened to a pair of Rockport’s Avior IIs, albeit using source components and amplifiers different than mine. They seemed perhaps better in some regards, but not so much so as to make a compelling case to purchase them as an upgrade. Another friend, who just acquired his PS Audio FR30 speakers, is urging me to consider buying a pair of the FR30s.

There certainly are numerous speaker lines out there. Consequently, I decided to post my “dilemma” here and invite others to provide their suggestions (ideally with their reasoning). My absolute top budget is $50K. However, this purchase would be funded by my retirement savings, and I certainly would prefer spending less. Also, maybe the better course is to keep my Revels and be happy and content with what I already have.

Many thanks for your reading this entire posting.

128x128Ag insider logo xs@2xjmeyers

Don't spend your money.....enjoy what you have......what would happen if something came up and you didn't have enough. Enjoy the music..your system is fine.

Just enjoy more music. Although I'm not a fan of McIntosh and since you love your new Bricasti pieces (ok I'm a bit envious) maybe consider a Bricasti amp. That's the route I would pursue.

Room acoustic treatment is half the sound.

Go for a professionnal  if it is not already done

J…Looking at your system, very nice!

changing the main speakers might have a domino effect resulting in changing the Center to match the mains and then the subs. 

So…to justify the upgrade (forget money for a second) can you articulate issues you’ve having with your current setup? What’s missing?

I can tell you what sticks out to me: McIntosh amps with Theta preamp…I’m a big proponent of same brand preamp and amp combos to achieve maximum synergy but I’ve done it with mix n match as well. May be try a mcintosh tube preamp?

Speakers don’t stick out much as potential culprit for anything