Whats the best $1000 speakers

Hello everyone, I'm starting a new two channel system, and need some new speakers, and a intagrated amp, and cd player. I am interested in the Vandersteen 1c, and the Monitor Audio Silver RS6s, but I am open to any suggestions. If anybody is familiar with these 2 spakers, I would be thankful for any advice, and some intagrateds that would match well with them.

Thanks Again,
Joey
joeygrace321
Magnepan MG12 would be my nomination for speakers. Maybe an Oppo DVD player as a source, and a 100 watt (or more)integrated amp to drive 'em.

Duke
dealer/manufacturer
I think the Vandersteens are an excellent choice at that price point, with decent, quality bass at the price and good imaging. It is the speaker I would buy if I were looking for a fairly full-range speaker in the sub$1000 category. I would stick with SS if you are looking at comparably priced amps.
I vote for Vandersteen and the new DCM speakers, for under $1ooo they are stupid good...one of the biggest surprises I found at the NYC Home Entertainment show last May.
Haven't heard the Monitor Audios but did own the 1Cs for a while. AT the used price <$500 they are a fantastic buy.
The Totem Arros are my favorite speaker in the 1k price range. Of course I have not heard everything in that price, but I don't think you can go wrong with the Totems. I have owned the Vandy 1b and I did like them but I prefer the Arros. Good luck.
I own a pair of Triangle Zerius 202, and find them stunningly good. I paid them $990 new. You can now find a pair of used Triangle Celius 202 on audiogon for $750. If they are in good conditions, that's a steal.

These speakers are very sensitive and bright...perhaps too much with an overly detailed amplifier.
Thanks guys, you have all been very helpful, anymore help would still be appreciated.
Find a used pair of Snell CV. They sell for $800 - $1000. You'll have to spend a lot more to better them with a new speaker.
maybe a pair of dunlavy sc3's; as they show up now and then here on audiogon.
I'll second or third the Snell suggestion. CV's are wonderful speakers in this range. Another one, a bit more vintage, would be Snell A-III's....they ran around $5K when they launched & still sound like it.
I've heard a lot of speakers in this price range, and settled on a pair of Ohm MicroWalsh Talls. Powered with a Cyrus 8vs2 Integrated, this combo is pretty amazing.

I've had my Ohms for almost 4 years, which has to be a record for me, everything else just lost my interest within a month or less...
joeygrace321, I think its important before suggesting a speaker here that we know how big the room is and maybe the type of music you listen to. This will play a big part of the speaker and integrated, happy hunting

beerdraft
I think a lot has to do with your music preference, room size, upstream components etc. I own a pair of Magnepan mg12 an couldn't be happier. (these come up here on Agon used in the $750 range...thats how I got mine. If your room is large enough, you can often find the larger 1.6 on sale for at or aroung $1k).
I just heard a pair of Klipsch RF62 Loudspeakers yesterday. We played jazz, blues and rock and this pair performed very well for $800 NEW!!! The dealer then played the RF83 and it was amazing how a $800 pair sounded comparable to a $2500 pair of speakers - The speakers were driven by Denon AVR 4308ci at the same volume, same room size. It was impressive...
consider a single driver system and a tube amp for this vocal midrange material. or a 2 way with a gentle crossover slope per driver. from what i read about single driver designs they are perfect fit. as a tubie i think it is a natural fit as midrange is superb. ss will work fine too if you prefer but tubes are great fit with vocals imo
That is a good size room, I was going to reccomend the B&W 805S but don't know how they would do in that size room. They would do very well with your music though, I think the b&w is one of the best for female vocals, that is where I call BS on a lot of speakers is in the vocals. The 805S may fit your budget but not so sure about the roome size. Another speaker I like for this music is the maggies, but again not sure about the room size versus the speaker in this price range.

good luck,
beerdraft
There is a pair of Klipsch Chorous speakers listed for $350. That is quite a bit of speakers for $350. A nice tube amp or moderate power quality SS and you are set to go.