Whats on your turntable tonight?

For me its the first or very early LP's of:
Allman Brothers - "Allman Joys" "Idyllwild South"
Santana - "Santana" 200 g reissue
Emerson Lake and Palmer - "Emerson Lake and Palmer"
and,
Beethoven - "Piano Concerto No. 4 in G Major" Rudolph Serkin/Ozawa/BSO
slipknot1
Kina Grannis - In The Waiting ( a spectacular gift from Brother in law , wow....

cleaned on my new to me Nitty Gritty 2.5 record cleaner in like new condition.... for drumroll... $75

If you're a Lisa Hannigan fan, I believe you'll really like this record. Her songs lend themselves well, to these orchestral arrangements.
@tomic601,

Congrats on the record cleaner. If I may be so bold....buy a hand held steamer if for nothing else than to clean the velvet pads/lips/cleaning brush.
@uberwaltz,

It would be nice to know what your impression would be with the Chinook & a 100 ohm resistor?
More & more, (which is a phrase probably used by people growing older), I feel a need to hear the origin of the music I enjoy now....musical roots. I recently bought the 3 lp UK box...Carl Perkins "The Sun Years" just for that reason. Up now is the 1st lp from this set.
@big_greg, @uberwaltz, @tomic601,

I know too well how much the correct resistor for any particular cartridge is, to getting an impressive sound from one’s cartridge. It’s fairly equivalent to having a cartridge aligned perfectly.

According to Eva Anna Manley, the Chinook is 95% of the Steelhead.

I’ve read through the years about the Musical Surroundings offerings and was always impressed. The main objective, for me, was no tube circuit....

Uber, Did you sell your Chinook?. I’ve always felt you moved equipment too fast. I feel there is a strong argument for keeping equipment and experimenting with all parameters until one is confident they have reached the limits of that component. You posted not too long ago that you had a friend with a protractor come over and align your, then, cartridge. Does this need to happen again? With your traveling time vs. family, vs. music, I’m sure that is not easy.

Your friendly, caring  Slaw
The 1st lp from Carl Perkins box was extremely enjoyable!
Death Cab For Cutie "Codes & Keys"
During my travels today, while listening to our local college station, they were playing some GREAT music that I'd never heard before. Very inspiring. Never was able to confer the artists. One I do remember is The Rosebuds. Up next "Loud Planes Fly Low"...by The Rosebuds.
Steely Dan "Pretzel Logic" black label/ABC ...........................sounding wonderful!
Slaw et al

I know you think I turn over my equipment too rapidly but I do have my reasons ( to me at least).

I know EXACTLY the sound I like and am looking for/require and if a new piece is not even close then I am just not going to waste any of my time trying to make it so. Now if it is close then yes I will tweak away to see if the golden egg is there, often times not but I will try.

Now the sound I am looking for is probably not what others are seeking and that is fine, at my stage and time of life the only thing that matters is , do I like the sound in my room, period.

I truly do not care if some others may consider it too warm or not accurate or too false a soundstage (  just examples, not saying that is what I have!).

Its my room, my music and my ears.

So tbh the Chinook has never really grabbed me, not quite what I wanted but I worked with it.
The phonomena on the other hand was a near instant fit and a few simple tweaks have brought it even closer to "ubervana".

I have a number of carts premounted on headshells and aligned so simple quick changes are achieved with just a balance of vtf and a tweak of vta, both very easily done on the micro seiki arm.

I am VERY close to total musicality from my system for my ears and that is ALL that matters.

As you say time is short and precious and when I get home to relax I do not want to be messing with anything, just play and go.

Hope that makes some sense...…...
@uberwaltz,

That makes perfect sense...really what I was saying.

Love you, brother.
Other than memories of system configurations and live shows, your current personal system configuration IS your reference. I’m sorry but, that doesn’t cut it my friend. While I’ve been following you, you’re system has changed more times than I can count. At some point, one should settle on a musical component that satisfies. Then build a system around that crucial system component. You have yet to do that. It seems that you’re hooked on the possibilities rather than what really matters.
Your journey is valid and fun to read but in the end leads to nowhere because there is not one, system component that you refer to. That component should be a speaker, IMO.
My brother...I care......that is why I posted this.
@slaw steamer on the way and I believe War Department will properly account for this under wardrobe or household appliance budget!!!!!
Evaluation of the new to market Chord Huei SS phono preamp. Cold last nite after a party with copious amounts of Paella, Flan and wine my initial impression was - ugh... left it on all nite, unit broken in at dealer...

film at eleven, or ten
In my Audio journey yesterday I was introduced to two new references for me. This analog centric group probably already very familiar with these, but I was not and they floored me... both performance and Sonics...

Satchmo Plays King Oliver - 45 Series by ( now defunct ) Quality Records

and a limited edition Brinkmann Audio sponsored 45 RPM two disc of Blicher, Hemmer, Gadd

yowsa, right there Sonics!!!!! Ya man

on order via Discogs

Slaw
Now I am confused...lol.

Your two concurrent posts appear to be at odds?
Ah well speakers, yes agreed they were a journey but not now.

Ever since I bought into Maggie's they have been the perfect fit in my system and between them ,The Ayre EX8 and my Garrard 401 I am slowly tweaking the last 5%.

At least that's what I tell myself!
Krokus by jove!

A real blast from the metal 80,s Greg.

Do not believe I have any Krokus at this time but good to be reminded.
Uber, Krokus was a favorite back in the day. I haven't listened to them in a long time. Good stuff!
Neil Young - Harvest 2009 reissue/remaster.....kinda murky with no air on the top end....bummer....
No Protection ... Starship.

Just returned from our local flea market which I have not visited in at least 4 years.
However beautiful day so what the heck.

LOTS of scores including original green label pressing of s/t Little Feat which sells for between $30 and $150 ...$5!

I am a very happy camper today!
Boxer.
I sure did!
Between them, the first Virginia haul and today's treasure I now have a huge pile of new to me music to work through.
Then there are still some tapes .....
And CDs......

It's good to have new stuff!
Permanent Waves .... Rush.

Hardly ever see Rush vinyl in any record store I visit so to find 3 albums at the flea market today really felt good.

This, All the Worlds a Stage and Archives.

So 6 Lps in reality.
Dire Straits- Brothers in Arms - 45 RPM MoFi ( Gain 2 ), really quite good as this is normally on digital something I grit my ear teeth on in places...

Linda Ronstadt - Silk Purse - Special markets release on 180g vinyl of this her second solo studio album....i like it because her vocal microphone choice/placement is really different for her - Nashville ?