What to buy with $2000?

I have been out of touch from high end gear for about 4 years. I was the proud owner of an AR LS5mkIII. I should have never sold it. I had a Blue Circle BC3 Galaeta. And now its time for a new pre amp for no more than $2000. I am interested in the AR LS 16mkIII. How about a quick education on other options.
Thanks Kindly,
Jonathan
jrud
Just for the sake of trying something diiferent (and will not cost you a lot while you decide) ---- please try an Axiom Passive preamp ($125.00 us). I received mine some days ago (sold my Premier10) and is just doing great.

Regards

(ask for the caddock version. worths the extra money)
I second the Modwright, I have one of the beta units & love it. I would highly recommend one.
Technology and circuitry have changed. Price is not necessarily a pre-qualifying criteria. The Modwright SE 9.0 for $2300 will clearly outperform any other preamp under $4000. I would never have believed it if I had not heard it. See if you can squuze a couple more dollars and give this a listen.
For my money I would go with a Joule LA 100 or a First Sound.
I used to own them both and would have no problem going back to them.
Another vote for the Joule LA 100 Mk. III. They also hold their value very well, indicative of a well regarded piece.
I definitely would vote the Joule Electra LA-100 Mk III.

A non-upgraded version if possible.

I love mine. The remote is a nice option as well.

Best of luck.
as before...start with speakers and work backwards. the ar's are a good choice. nothing has changed in four years except prices continue to go up on everything and dealers continue to go belly up.
Take a look at the Joule Electra LA-100 MkIII here in Audiogon for $1700. This a very musical preamp that has a bit more transparency than most tube preamps. It is extremely quiet and uses a very short signal path. Dual mono design and Purist Audio wiring (some have Cardas wiring). A very clean point-to-point handwired preamp. Signal tubes are mounted on a a special board that absorbs vibrations. Uses a 5751 with a 6350 as the mu follower in the signal path. 6EM7 and OA2 tubes in the power supply. I have had mine now for about a year and love it.