What the Best Dac have you heard or owned. How could you tell it was that good.

I wondered what’s the best sounding dac you have heard or owned. What did it do that the others didn’t. 

calvinj

@wsrrsw yes.  At the reference level it becomes a personal taste thing.  I like smooth but detailed without being analytical and that’s the best way to describe my dac and personal preferences.  

Some people post stuff they have never heard.  I actually let people demo our cables at Infigo.  There are 5 people demoing as we speak. So I let you try before you buy.  You be the judge in your own system.  BOBBY BOOSHAY SHOULDNT BE TELLING YOU WHAT TO BUY OR NOT BUY TRY FOR YOURSELF AND TRUST YOUR OWN EARS. 

The best I've heard is the Wadax Reference in Mike Lavigne's system, and prior to that, the MSB Select 2.

In my System, the Rockna Wavedream Signature was a huge step up from all DACs I had heard previously.  

Both Mike's digital and mine make me feel that from a sound quality standpoint, I could easily live without vinyl.  I don't think I'll ever step away from vinyl though, as for me it is a much more involving experience.

I was frankly quite anxious about hearing the Wavedream for the first time as I thought my digital was already really good and I really stretched my budget to acquire it.  I was afraid there wouldn't be much difference.

Thankfully, the differences were immediately and dramatically noticeable.  Dynamics in particular were in another league, the music was so much fuller and vibrant, but things like detail, neutrality, and soundstage also improved noticeably.  

All digital is not the same.

The best DAC i have owned is the one I am currently using, the Esoteric D-05. I auditioned several DAC's last year to come to a decision. Among them was the Benchmark, the Bryston BDA3, my old EAD 3000Mk3, a Sim Audio ( don't remember the number), and a ARC DAC8. What i really like about the Esoteric, besides the build quality, is that it uses dual mono DAC chips, and this seems to be where it has an advantage over the other DAC's I heard.

@daveyf i recently demoed an esoteric N01xd.  I was actually impressed by it. They make really high level gear.