What's happened to the used high end market recently?? Sales are tough....:0(

The heading says it all!! What do you guys think is the reason that the sales in the used high end market have gone soft??
Prices too high? Economy too slow?? Stock market too volatile?? Something else??

Thoughts....
128x128daveyf
For goods that depreciate very little, I buy new. For items that depreciate rapidly, I buy pre-owned. Simple right? What I think we hear through all of the white noise is that the residual values people once took for granted may no longer apply. Someone could buy a used amp or a pair of speakers, use it for a year and sell it on and remain relatively whole. Thats how alot of people built their systems over the years, they built up equity along the way and were able to build a higher end system. BUT.....

The laws of the free market can’t be suspended forever. I keep seeing in posts that the high end is dying because my cables depreciated....well, thats the way it goes. Additionally, not ALL cables depreciate so rapidly so the logical conclusion must be that those very special cables that you want to replace for some reason may not be so special after all. Compunding this example is if the very special cables you are trying to sell happen to have been discussed frequently on the millions of audio forums present today, the buying public has naturally formed an opinion regarding performance, value and availability/scarcity. Advances happen in product offerings and those advances factor in as well, further depreciating pre-owned pricing. Anyone who is old enough to have a $2,000 Motorola bag phone from 30 years ago in the bottom of a closet understands this.

Its all relative on value though. Many of my co-workers now consider so many items as their birthright that were once thought of as luxuries. When I was first starting out, a new car wasn’t in the cards lete alone a car for every licensed driver. Cable and telephone were luxuries and a choice for your budget. The idea of a $5 cup of coffee or eating out each meal as a daily expenditure seemed science fiction. I also aspired to do better and I never recall feeling resentment when others were prospering disproportionately better than I was. Just because everyone can’t afford whatever they want doesn’t make it unfair but it does create opportunities for all of us to weigh our choices more carefully. I’m thrilled when someone trades in their $120,000 two year old car for $50,000 with only 15,000 miles. I like buying that car rather than the $50,000 new car that so many buy on credit for 72 months. Horses for courses....so back to audio.

We have been spoiled that audio gear typically depreciated quickly at first and then slowly/not at all thereafter. That still applies with really good, high demand equipment....not so much with items that are viewed by the buying public as compromised or commoditized items. How come nobody posts a new thread with the title “ I paid too much for an item several years ago because I assumed it would be worth more when I sell it when something better comes along” or “I’m embarrassed that the buying public doesn’t place a high value on my lousy cables that I’m trying to dump”.

just sayin...

A lot has to do with my kids generation being content with crappy sounding portables.   I offered my son a pair of Revel m 106 and a nice B&K amp and pre that was in my closet.   Wasn’t even interested. Just held his phone up and said something dumb about how awesome his BluTooth speaker is.     

I sold the Revels to a young guy that appreciates quality sound.  His apartment was barely furnished but he was more concerned about putting together a fine system than where he was going to sit.   At least they went to a good home.   
@ghasley 

All of your points do little to address the fact that the change in the used HEA market has occurred recently. What accounts for this broad change? Why has the free market changed so drastically in such a short period?
The old idea of 'flipping' gear now seems to be a whole lot more difficult. 
OTOH, I would certainly keep that Motorola Bag phone you mention...soon it will be worth some serious $$ to a collector, LOL.

HEA, in general,  has NOT delivered on its reason for being defined as -  providing the means for enjoying our music fully and with complete contentment. HEA delivers on some well recorded stuff, but in general has not delivered what we want and desire. Couple that with the silly high pricing we see today and you have the reason for HEA collapsing.  The shrinking market has brought on accelerated price increases as manufacturers milk what they can from the shrinking market. This is the classic sign of a product category in the decline phase of the product life cycle.  We are now living in this decline phase. 

The good news is innovation is bringing new home audio products to the market that are right priced and frankly better than what HEA has delivered in the past. 

I am talking about the core market of audiophiles here.  We are not as interested in turning and churning through gear anymore. We have been there and done that enough now and realize all these traditional HEA products don’t and won’t satisfy long term. No way we are spending big money on it now. We are not buying used gear like we used to.  This is why stuff is selling so darn slow if at all. If we decide to try one more piece it better be at a steal, I mean steal of a price. This is driving the prices down. We are a small group we Core Aphiles and we are causing this to happen.  We are the market.