What do audiophiles want from a cable?

What should a high quality interconnect or speaker cable do to the sound of a system? Make it more transparent? Improve the sound stage and focus? Soften unpleasant highs? Tighten the base? Bring out the mids?

To me, a good cable should reveal more of what is on the recording and more of the true nature of my components. So when trying new cables, I look for more detail and accuracy without becoming cold and clinical. This seems logical, and yet after reading reviews and trying a few of the cables in the reviews, I find that the cables that have received glowing endorsements are not especially transparent or revealing. They modify the sound, but they don’t take me where I want to go. I wonder if the reason I don’t hear what the reviewer heard is that I don’t know what to listen for. Am I too focused on cable accuracy and resolution, and not enough on actual sound quality? Or is it just a case of no two systems sounding alike so why trust a review anyway? Thanks.
mward
@barking54 
At this point in the thread, YOU have become the source of OUR amusement!  Problem is, the more we get to know you, the less we like you.  I am sorry you can't find a better pastime.  The World Series is on dude, try that.  Better yet.. go take a hearing test, that'd be a good pastime for you.  Anything but Perpetual PaTrolling Please!

@jmcgrogan2 
Odds are he's going 0-4.  

wait for it....waaaaait foooorrrr it!

Speaking of kind of amusement, serious guys in another thread are discussing cartridge alignment. After so many years of turntables there is still something to debate on the subject, it would seem.
Just give me Studer deck and some reels.
@waxwaves
Oh, no worries - happy to oblige. I am, however, growing bored. Off to discover other magical lands of unicorns and $4K cables. We now return you to you’re regularly scheduled programming. Toodles!
audiophiles want from cables most of the time something that no one else does.
non-audiophiles purchase monster cable at best buy for better looks (as part of equation).

looks for audiophiles at the same time are somewhat also important. you need to arrange everything nice and shiny to be marketable and presentable to convince that that beautiful set of hoses is gonna sound super good and eyes can hear more than ear!
barking, you are not doing us any favors.  If you really want to oblige us then take the hate somewhere else.  The knowledgeable, experienced guys have heard all of this crap before.  Cable haters are a dime a dozen.  What you have said here means nothing.  A good majority of folks here know better, and have experienced higher performance from high quality cabling on many occasions.

Gonna say it again...A well designed audio interconnect, speaker cable, power cable, digital or USB cable WILL in FACT outperform your inferior cable in a resolving audio system setup in a proper listening space.  Face it, deal with it, move on please. 
cvarivey, your statement couldn't be farther from the truth.  It blows my mind that you actually believe this.  No one here in the know will take you seriously if you keep this up.

No unicorns were harmed in the process of typing this post, only the egos of the inexperienced haters and the admirers of dielectric bling.  Love to see this potentially informative thread get back on track.  Sorry for the hater hurdles we must jump.