Watts! How many do we need?

Got a new amp. Accuphase P-4600. It’s great. I love it. 
150 watts into 8 ohms, 300 watts into 4 ohms and it has meters so I can see wattage. Have them set on freeze so I can see the highest wattage during the session.

My Harbeth speakers are not very efficient. Around 86db. Their impedance is an even 6 ohms dipping no lower than 5.8 ohms. 

Playing HiRes dynamic classical recordings  ( Tchaikovsky , Mahler) at room filling volumes I have yet to exceed 1watt.. 

Amps today offer a lot of watts some going to 600 even 1200 watts. Even if you have inefficient speakers with an impedance that dips down to 2 ohms do we need all this wattage or should we be focusing on current instead? 

jfrmusic

watts are watts, a watt will do the same work regardless of how its derived.

amp topology, power supply type, amount of components in the circuit, speaker efficiencies, etc. will make differences. as long as your not clipping the amp, putting the amp into harm i.e. oscillating, etc. should all be similar as far as power requirements for a given speaker. Probably much lower then most would like to admit.

Bragging rights, power wars, room size and volume, etc. seem to be more an issue. don't get me started on "oh its hi current" well of course, because its low voltage. Power=Current x Voltage after all. 

nitrobob wrote:

Anyone that listen at 113-115db are either def or stupid, or if doing it routinely maybe both?

If you are not def, is it then something you aspirer to be ?

Why would a music lover try to intentionally destroy one’s hearing?

Such levels isn’t the goal nor point of having a high SPL-capable amp-speaker system domestically - not to me, that is - but rather that the ability here pays off at lower levels and to have the desired max. peak levels reproduced cleanly and wholly effortlessly. Referring to my own context above it’s about "super cruising" (aviation term) at any desired SPL, but also and not least that such a system is of a very different physical stature compared to most typical home speakers, and that in itself is a major aspect sonically. Few seem to realize this.

A speaking of which: for some reason many audiophiles almost feel offended or put off by the prospect of very high SPL capability in a speaker setup, concluding that it automatically means blowing off your ears at concert levels and being of a very young or immature mindset, contrary to the sophisticated, experienced 60+ years audiophile who sips at his glass of (expensive) red wine while savoring the soprano voices of Delibes’ Lakmé opera at 65-70dB’s from his low efficiency high-end speakers.

Well, what can one say other than throwing back the ’inexperienced’ accusation at those who don’t know any better here.

As older we get our hearing for most people deteriorate and unfortunately for many it hinders their ability to function 100% in social gatherings and for some people they choose to redraw a bit from social life.

Also as it is now, there is nothing you can do if getting tinnitus which even is a much bigger problem.

i worry about the younger generation that blast music into their ear canal’s with in-ear headphones, I am guessing that most of them will have big hearing/tinnitus problems before they are 50!

Absolutely agree.

Don’t get out much, do ya? Lots of folk go to a monthly concert. And they are played in the 113-115 range. Many times, much more than that. You think all those thousands of listeners at the live performances are going deaf? It better hurry up if it’s going to affect me. I’m almost 70 and have been around loud race cars my entire life.... (And a dash of music). You sound boring! But enjoy life however you want it, I know I have enjoyed the heck out of mine.

I only just turned 50 some 3 years ago, and it’s been over 20 years since I last treated myself to a very loud, large and "unfiltered" amplified concert experience (Depeche Mode’s Exciter tour, which almost got the better of me). Since then I’ve protected my ears hysterically at such large scale and very loud concert events, and I now mostly attend live acoustic, classical concerts.

Boring? Not in the least, but who am I to tell a seasoned race car junkie with a splash of music exposure to boot.

Boring? Not in the least, but who am I to tell a seasoned race car junkie with a splash of music exposure to boot.

Yea, I’m serious. Here is my in car camera view of one of the thousands of passes I’ve made in the last 25 years of driving one of these things. Loud? Most certainly. But I like music loud also, when its called for.

https://youtu.be/FsYMv_JXPzI

Report this

nitrobob wrote:

Yea, I’m serious. Here is my in car camera view of one of the thousands of passes I’ve made in the last 25 years of driving one of these things. 

Top fuel? Wicked, your username certainly makes sense now. Those engines with that kind of fueling makes a physically felt havoc of noise. 

Loud? Most certainly. But I like music loud also, when its called for.

Maybe you need music loud for that very reason ;)