Vinyl guy seeking recommendation for a top level cd player

I know cds are dead.  Best time to buy a cd player, the way it looks.  I want an all in one box.  I don't stream so a separate DAC is not required.  Most of my cd collection have been ripped to a PC as Flac files and then down loaded to a Sony HAP-Z1ES.  Currently about 3000 Redbook and perhaps 100 SACDs.  The way cds are being dumped I figure on becoming a buyer again so these numbers will go up.  I have looked at Marantz SA10, Esoteric K1 (lightly used), and Luxman D-10X, so far.  It would be good if the sound could approach vinyl.  The Z1 does up to a point.  Listening this morning to the same recordings, the Z1 compares to a high end MM cartridge, but not to a SoundSmith Experion.  Maybe I am asking too much, but in any event a new cd player is being sought.  Thanks in advance for any advice.
Bill
billstevenson

Showing 2 responses by avanti1960

have you thought about an MBL Corona?  I listened long to one and it was phenomenal- better than vinyl, no offense.  
I have an older luxman D05 and it sounds extremely good, warm and dynamic with smooth detail.  Luxman is due to release more models between the 3x and 10x but if you have the budget the 10x should be outstanding.  
I heard the Hegel mohican and hated it.  it tried too hard to be midrange smooth and wound up casting a soft sheen over the detail.  
Budget no concern the MBL unit mentioned earlier is the best I have heard.  Beats the Esoteic model I also heard.  
I have also a Marantz SA 8005 and wanted a retreat from the Marantz sound when I bought the Luxman.  Very happy with it.