Upgrades and repairs on hi fi components

I've often run across good quality hi fi components (like Marantz, Audio Research, Conrad J, Luxman, OPPO, etc.) that should be upgraded due to aged and older internal components.

Any recommendations as to who does this type of work?

morbius2130aol

Peter Ledermann at Soundsmith used to repair ARC stuff-he recapped and retubed a Dual 75a that I’ve owned since new. It is now due for another go-over (haven’t had it running for more than a decade but still).

I found a local guy, Atomic Tube here in Austin, whose main focus is antiquarian gear but he can repair pretty much anything tube-related. I hate shipping this stuff- much prefer to drop it off personally.

When Lamm was still in NY and I lived there, same drill. We’d drive the equipment to him and usually, turn around by Vlad (RIP) was very quick.

Bill Thalmann (also RIP) was great- I dropped off a car load of gear for him to restore back in 2017.

I agree about location- if you can find someone good who is local, you may be better off. You hear horror stories about some repair services, but I’ve never had a problem.

Me in Northern New Jersey we can fix, repair, upgrade, rebuilt any audio component. We invite everyone to our listening room to hear so many options. My partner has a masters degree in electronic design and we build our own components.  Been doing this for over 25+ years. Should have our own components at Audio Connection soon.

Happy Listening.

The late Brent Mullin of HiFi Heaven was really great, too. A terrible loss of superb talent and knowledge in the last few years! I knew several of these guys and miss them. Happy to see bigkidz in the game!