Turntable upgrade recommendations: SME vs AMG vs Technics vs other

I've recently upgraded most of my system, but I still have a Rega P8, with Linn Krystal cartridge, which I like, but I've heard that there may be better options.

I have Sound Lab electrostatic speakers, Ypsilon Hyperior amplifiers, an Ypsilon PST-100 Mk2 pre-amplifier, and am thinking about an Ypsilon phono stage to match with my system, and a turntable/cartridge.  I listen to almost entirely classical, acoustic music. 

Based on my very limited knowledge, and simple research, I've been looking at three brands, each of which is a different type of turntable: SME (suspension), AMG (mass), and Technics (direct drive).  
What are the advantages and disadvantages of the different types of turntables, and of those in particular?

Thanks.   

drbond

@dover , It will fit but that does not mean it will work well. You would have to stiffen the suspension. I suppose you could fit more rubber bands. The 4 Point 9 will go right on without having to mess around. Some people think it is the best 4Point

Thanks for everyone's input.  It sounds like SME is a leading candidate, and I may consider an extra Kuzma tonearm sometime in the future after that just for comparison.  
In the meantime, I've been playing around with tweaks for the Rega P8:  while I mentioned that the clamp is much better than a weight on that TT, I also tried out isolation springs vs hockey pucks.  The Nobsound springs isolate the turntable better, insofar as tapping on the platform is not heard when the TT is on the springs, and tapping is heard when the TT is on the hockey puck/practice puck stack.  However, sonically, the hockey puck stack sounds much quieter, clearer, and much smoother than when the TT is on the Nobsound springs, which sound more grainy and less coherent.  
This leads me to question how valid the tap test is for evaluating TT and their build.  

@drbond  This has been a fascinating thread following your journey, so thanks for putting it out there and enduring. Your quest is similar in some ways to my own, also in Florida with the many of the same local challenges you mention.

I currently have the STST Motus II DQ direct drive table with Schroder 9" CB, both set up by Soundsmith, and coming highly recommended. Unfortunately or not, I am literally on an island here, so on my own from a support standpoint too. I had struggled getting back into analog after several years off, and received great support from JR at WallyTools, but I still didn’t get very far until engaging Jose @drvinyl01 in Md. I can’t say enough about his willingness to help, regardless of the brands on his shelf, so you might be pleasantly surprised if you give him a call.

I am looking at moving to higher mass approach rather than suspended for my situation (elevated home), such as the J. Sikora Initial or Initial Max, Acoustic Signature Neo series (Typhoon, Hurricane, Tornado), Reed, among others. I have the DS Audio DS 003 optical cartridge and matching phono equalizer with a Schroder CB 9", which is genius in its simplicity and works very well.

You have a terrific system to build on and best of luck in your search.

Hey @drbond  - the P8 is extremely light and the only thing that worked for me without counterweights was the Townshend Seismic platform that has pods screwed into the base. The very smallest pods are effective against the 10 pound turntable. If the pods are too inflexible, they won't do anything, and if they are too flexible they also won't do anything. The ones I use are just right - about 50% compression in the pods, and you don't have to adjust anything for position. They worked great for me.

Unfortunately, Max Townshend just passed away last week, so I am sure there will be some delays, but supposedly they have the capability to carry on. One frequent Audiogon poster I believe just started working there @millercarbon. You may want to reach out to him.

As you speak about the Townshend platform : I will try to put it under my TW Acustic Raven AC. I mean : unscrewing the TT’s feet and put it bare on the platform. With the Townshend’s feet you can level the TT who’s weight is uneven as 2 tonearms with their integrated pods are installed in each back corners.

Will see what happen (excepted the broken back). If the Podiums are so effective, the platform could do the same with a TT ? Who knows ?