Tube rolling on MacIntosh C2300

I want to try out some new tubes on my C2300 preamp. I only have one source, a DAC/Streamer and do not have a turntable. The preamp has 6 tubes of which 4 are for phono (2 MM and 2MC). Should I change the phono tubes as well or since I am not using the phono stage, it will make no difference? 

eylai777

I second the suggestion for the Amperex Medical Grade Bugle Boys. Years ago I too had a 2300 and used these tubes with great results. 

I believe you can shut the phono section off, so, in effect, you will have 4 spare tubes. FWIW, I swapped the factory tubes on my C220 for Mullards, current production. They are quieter and slightly warmer sounding than the stock tubes.

Thank for all the great suggestions. Will definitely look into them. It will be nice to have quality alternatives instead of Telefunken which is crazy expensive.

That's what I hate about Mcintosh tube pre-amplifiers, they all come with a phonostage with lots of tubes. Which really sucks if you don't use a turntable.

They have a line stage with tubes.

So many people have phonostages they don't even use them. What a waste

I am an original owner of the C2200, which is similar to the C2300, and I have used various tubes over the years.  The C2200 uses four 12AX7 and four 12AT7 tubes.  I don't use the phono stage.

I just recently contacted Brent Jessee (who is well respected on these forums) asking his advice for tubes for this preamp.  He was very prompt in his reply to my email.  I will be ordering from him this week.

I suggest that you email him with your question.   His website is loaded with information as well:  https://www.audiotubes.com

I have a C2300 and highly recommend Amprex Medical Grade 12 ax7s, they are extremely pricey but ultra quiet, rugged and will last for years. I’ve had mine in for 4 years and my preamp is on literally 6-7 hours a day (as a passthru in my home theater system) and it sounds wonderful. I only use the medical tubes in the MC Phono stage and the Aux stage because I don’t have a MM TT. This is a great preamp that is smooth and sophisticated without the DAC on board, that is preferable to purists like me. I hope you continue to enjoy your C2300! 

If you are not using the phono stage it will not make a difference. Save some money and ignore those tubes.