Tube or solid state

Do you prefer a tube preamp into a solid state amp or a solid state amp into a tube amp,which is your choice for best sound?

fixto

@earthbound

I guess they would say, you’ve never heard great ss. I never have I know I’ve heard this 300b and oh my!!

People simply like what they like.There are listeners who are thrilled with their SS components and I say good for them. Each of us has to find and obtain what is best on a personal basis. It appears that the Western Electric 300b tubes are serving you well. That’s good to hear.

Charles 

@petg60

"One thing to have in mind is that many tubed preamps have a high output resistance requiring careful matching with some ss power amps. Otherwise any combination can be successful, depending on speaker, but i have to agree that generally tube sound is more evident with tubed power amps. "

You are absolutely right! I suggested on this forum that we should not go with Tube preamp + SS amplifier, and you are talking the reason now. I only get the opinion from my day to day experiance, and some guys just do not agree with me. Thanks very much to let us know the reason. This is really good message to me.

Honestly anything can change sound, 2 of the same models can sound different.

Transistors vs tubes good and bad of each.

I’ve heard worse new transistor amps then better, Heard better tube amps then worse.

Modern Solid State preamp low noise floor can sound great with tube power-amplifier vintage or new.

Why is Marantz 7t worth less then Marantz 7c tube. I have both, both sound great!

Sound signature is close if not the same. 7C takes it further in space, detail, imaging etc. Marantz 7t is damm good, some people upgrade the heck out of them get amazing sounding preamp. 7c bone stock sounds better before doing anything. Is it the tubes? The Caps? Both are made in the US under Saul Marantz and Sidney Smith. They made sure Marantz 7t sounded and performed like the 7c.

Is there better made stuff Sure! Tubes are here to stay. Why are records coming back? Film or etc. I do want to build a 300b amp someday, try those western-electric tubes.

HiFi (High Fidelity) has the origins for the use of it as a term, that is founded in the 1950's.

It is a Marketing 'Buzz Word', that has successfully stuck and been adopted in daily use.

As in all Marketing 'Buzz Words', there is something a little fantastical about it, the purpose is to have a allure and encourage a certain outcome.

I don't know many who are in pursuit of HiFi as the end goal, I do know many that are in pursuit of a musical encounter, through the replay of recorded music, that is an enjoyable entertainment.

There does seem to be a vast quantity of individuals enjoying replayed music as a result of a replay of a recorded medium.

The electronic designs chosen to achieve the replay is a means to an end, and does not take away from the enjoyment of the experience.

If the goal is to have the 'so called' very best of electronics and mechanical function, then this is a road less travelled, and one that will come with endless confrontation about philosophies and design for such devices selected.