Transport Recommendations

Hi All: I am looking for recommendations for a CD transport under 2K. I prefer new. and am considering ProJect, Audiolab, Schitt, and Primare - your thoughts? Any brands I may be missing? Thanks!

gnoworyta

I have   a Project RS2T in my more expensive system, sounds Fabulous. There have been issues with them, see audiogon forum. I have returned 2 and have been successful with my 3rd. It has the stream unlimited cd mechanism CD pro 8 and the blue tiger cd-84 servo system. The others that have it are over 10K.

I also have a second system, which uses a Audiolab 6000CDT with a very good DAC and sounds Great. There is a considerable difference though, clarity and dynamics especially! However, until Project gets all the bugs out I would be suspect in purchasing one at this time. If they do, its a clear winner, bar none!! Ps the 6000 CDT is a very good machine. I might even consider the jay model too, very good reviews. Robert

+5 for the AudioLab 6000CDT. Brilliant simple unit. Designed as a transport only. Excellent power supply. Sound is clean and immediate. I have not had a single CD that would not play in it regardless of condition or origin. I can't see why you would need to spend $2000 when this is like $500 used. The newer model incorporates a tray instead of a slot loader if that is a worry for you (hasn't been for me).

@vinylvalet i have the Shanling on order; will report back after I get it later this week. Seems to check all the boxes for $750. I had the Audiolab previously and liked it- sold it as I was concerned about the talk of the slot loading potentially scratching CDs… unfortunately I don’t have it now to try side by side - been using a cheap DVD player in the interim …(expected  @jasonbourne52 to weigh in on that by now!)

Very happy with my Audiolab 6000 but I do have a fair number of SACDs so the new Shanling will be on my list if/when the 6000 dies

It's a little above your budget but I would recommend that you consider a TEAC VRDS 701. I have one and I like it very much.

I had a horrible experience with a PSA PerfectWave transport that used a cheap computer grade CD drive and I vowed that I would never buy another transport from a manufacturer that didn't specify the origin of the drive mechanism. There are only a few reputable drive manufacturers - Phillips, TEAC, Marantz, and a couple others. I would strongly suggest that you go with a transport that uses a CD drive from one of the big three. The Phillips drives are out of production but there are several manufacturers who are using NOS drives - Jay's Audio being a good example.

I own two transports; a Jay's Audio CD3 MkIII and the TEAC. I also own a Marantz KI Ruby SACD player that has a coax output so it can be used as a transport. I'm running a Berkeley Alpha Reference II MQA DAC plus an Audio Mirror Tubadour IV DAC. I've compared all three transports through both DACs and they sound essentially identical to my ears.

One option would be to buy a used Marantz SACD player, such as an SA 8005, and use that as a transport. This would likely be a better transport than buying a new transport that uses a cheaper CD drive. I had two Marantz players over fifteen years (and thousands of CD plays) and I never had a drive fail. My PSA PerfectWave transport had three drives fail in 5 years.

In another thread I commented that anyone who plays CDs regularly should buy the nicest transport they can afford. It's the component that you most interact with and it's the component that is most prone to breakdown. When you operate a transport like the TEAC, Jay's Audio, or any of the Marantz SACD players, you can just feel the quality. The drawer is quiet and moves smoothly. The mechanism is absolutely silent. When you compare that to a transport that uses a cheap mechanism the quality difference is obvious. Everytime that cheap plastic tray noisely sides out and goes "clunk" and then loudly slides back in and you hear the motor spin up, you will wish you had spent more money on a nice transport.