To pricey

Hello was looking at a pair of B&W 804d or 803d but so expensive are they worth it.  ????

801d

How many takeovers, buyouts, etc. etc. has B&W been subject to since they were actually Bowers & Wilkins down in deepest Sussex?  Who owns them now?

Whatever you think of them nowadays, for the list price of any of their models it would be easy to find many superior-performing speakers made by different brands.

I was where you are.   Old Classe electronics, B/W 802N's.  

I bought Audionet Max Amps and Pre G2 Preamp (I had already gotten the  Vega DAC).  Wow.  It Sounded like new speakers!!!!   Really.  So when i actually got new speakers, wow again!!!  Everyone comes over and points to my speakers and says 'wow' those are amazing speakers.  It is easily 50% electronics, and people don't think that way..

I have 803 Nautilus for quite some time now, upgrading to the D verions with the Diamond Tweeter should be better for sure, but it will come at a cost.  I've found the B&W sound to be warm and netrual and not bright sounding.  They are very detail with alot of music seperation with enough bass that I dont need a subwoofer.  Given these were made in 1996, the speakers still sound so great and could be had for less than $3K, the D versions will cost double, and the newer D3 or D4 will cost as much to do a paver driveway.  Demo and let your ears be the judge.