The new dynamic in speaker pricing

Yesterday I received the latest issue of the Absolute Sound mag. This issue has the round up of the varying speaker manufacturer’s wares along with the retail pricing. One thing that struck me is the number of speaker manufacturer’s who have a speaker in their line up that cost close to a $1M!! There are good number of speakers now available with prices in the $700K+ range. A few manufacturer’s are also a little ’glib’ with their top model pricing, such as Oswalds Mill--who state- price upon inquiry only!

This new speaker pricing dynamic is interesting, as it clearly indicates that there are buyers out there who are happy to pay these prices and presumably enough buyers to make these products viable. A trend that is certainly interesting and yet questionable as to how it will impact the hobby as a whole.

Opinions on this trend?

128x128daveyf

+1 @deludedaudiophile

Also makes me wonder what kind of insane "entertainment" system is built into the mega-yachts of ultra wealthy.

Regards,

barts  

I have no idea who buys those speakers, but I am very happy that many buy fairly expensive components then resell them on the cheap, just to be done with them...what makes Audiogon so fun...though all the people I sort of know that buy 6 figure components, I believe truly are audiophiles...

@barts, many who can afford Ferraris (not all) can also afford to take them to the track and live with the consequences of their screw up. Who is going to take their speakers to a different room if they don't have a custom one? Of course, who has their own race track :-)

Almost no one young dreams of owning a 7 figure speaker. There are an awful lot of people who dream of owning a Ferrari (or some equivalent).

I don't mind that there are mega buck speaker systems.  They give me something to day dream about when I sometimes buy a ticket for a multi million dollar jackpot lottery.  Right now I've narrowed it down to either the MBL 101 Extremes or the Living Voice Vox Olympian.  I plan to drive my new 911 to locations where I can hear each of them.

@kenjit … “The issue is that, if one idiot buys a million dollar speaker, all the speakers companies will raise their prices and make them unaffordable for the rest of us.”

👍 Good one! 😊