The first review on the SPL s1200 amplifier

The first review on the SPL s1200 amplifier has just been posted on the Stereo Times website. It took this German based company about a year and a half to design and perfect this single chassis stereo amplifier that combines the power and control of it's m1000 mono-blocks and the musicality/sweetness of it's smaller s800 amplifier. It is one of the finest solid state amplifiers I have ever had the pleasure to listen to in my system. For all the details take a look at the review.

Terry London

amorstereo

One thing is for sure. I am very impressed by the SPL Phonos phono stage. I would love to check out their other offerings in time. 

I have used their Phonitor amps and they are excellent.    High quality stuff

I'm starting to get Emails regarding both technique questions about SPL's unique approach to how much rail current they run in the s1200 amplifier and where to purchase their gear. I recommend you contact Mike Kay (Audio Archon) who is a retailer of SPL and can answer all your questions.

What I appreciated most about this article is that it got me to thinking about my own preferences.  Like many, I've had a number of systems over the years and usually the changes occurred because the newer gear "sounded better".

For example, when I had box speakers, panels sounded better because they were more open.  Then I went back to box speakers because they were more dynamic...or was it because my musical preferences changed???

And so on and so on...same with sources and electronics.  But, one thing I can say looking back is that all of the moves for more detail were usually not quite as satisfying in the end as the moves for more musical....and lately the moves have all been for a more musical presentation (which I guess for me meant sounded better).

I have no measurements, no objective proof, but I suspect that over the past XXXX years, technology has allowed the more musical presentation to also become more detailed.  At least that is how it seems when I reflect back on older systems I've heard which seem less detailed than musical systems today.  But then again, hearing and memory are tricky.

Thanks for this article.  The other two amps I've read about recently that seem very interesting from a musical standpoint are the VanAlstine DVA M225 monoblocks (class a/b) and the Atma-Sphere Class D mono blocks....both getting great owner feedback.

Post removed