TA-102 fo.Q Product from Japan "TRY These"

TA-102 fo.Q from Japan. 
I just added these to the bottom of my Focal Speaker stands. They are supposed to reduce vibrations and I must say they have tightened up the soundstage and bass. For a package of 2 for speakers they cost about $35 and it only took about a week to receive. 
I bought additional ones that I will try on the inside of some of my component covers. These are the real deal, even  better than Herbies!

ozzy
128x128ozzy
Fo.Q tape is useful in lots of places (e.g. on connectors, receptacle top plates, large capacitors) but be sparing in its application as it’s powerful stuff and easy to over do it!
folkfreak,

It would seem that anything that is affected by vibration would benefit. Perhaps even component stands?
What happens if you over do it? Does it deaden the sound?

ozzy
Yes -- over application of fo.Q can suck the life right out of things but this is the exception rather than something that will always happen -- I found it especially to be the case on my SR ground cables (which are tiny cables anyways). Others have found that you can be very liberal, and certainly when it comes to things like outlet covers apply away!
Thanks folkfreak,

Is there guide available as to where they are the most effective? Definatly attach them to speakers!

ozzy
I'm happy someone brought this up. I wanted to but didn't want to preach about my near obsession with fo.Q tape. It's a great product. I have used over 50 packs of TA-102 and TA-32 on my system in all kinds of places. I know it inside out. If anyone has questions I will answer. The only place I would hesitate to use it liberally is on speaker boxes - a little goes a long way (use it liberally on driver frames though). Anywhere else - go for it! It's designed for audio, and It works by piezoelectric conversion of vibrations to electrical current, which is then dissipated into the substrate material as heat. It operates most efficiently at ultra-low amplitudes, unlike for example Sorbothane which is designed to protect objects from damage by vibration. It also absorbs a wide frequency band and does not leave random frequencies ringing, again unlike most damping materials. This is the reason you can use lots of it, because it kills vibrations dead across a wide specrum, and does not allow ringing or muddy frequency bands to remain behind.

One special note - there are differing TA-102 glue qualities that you get randomly. The best quality TA-102 is the darker almost black colour. The glue on this does not generally leave a residue. The lighter mid-gray charcoal TA-102 is a problem if you ever plan to peel it off. The "booger" glue usually comes off and must be removed with solvent (or make a ball of glue and pick it off with the glue-ball). TA-32 (Thin tape) is much better in this regard because it never seems to leave a residue. Remember this point especially if you plan to use it on headphones (safer to use the thin tape TA-32 for headphones). 

Meanwhile heare are some spectacular uses for it :

TA-102 (thick tape)
- wall power outlets. Just cover the whole wall outlet except for the plug area of course. Don't underestimate this. Better than Furutech etc.
- tonearm bases
- tonearm headshell (or use TA-32 thin tape)
- turntable chassis (somewhere hidden like underneath preferably)
- amplifier chassis near the power inlet (top use!)
- advanced use - cut small pieces and individually dampen the tops of internal components such as capacitors etc. It is slightly conductive, so be careful.

TA-32 (thin tape)
- wrap it around RCA, or XLR connectors (top use!)
- wrap it around entire cable lengths
- tonearm headshell (or the entire tonearm tube!)
- if you dare, on the cartridge body (top use!)
- headphone headband 

Wow! Thanks so much for that info.
How about under footers? Or underneath equipment covers?

ozzy
Under footers is good. But fo.Q also make products with greater stiffness that are more suited for that purpose. I got great results by wrapping the entire footer with fo.Q (thin TA-32 works best because it doesn’t spring open). Anywhere on the chassis of equipment works, but fo.Q is most effective when used anywhere near power connections. That especially includes wrapping it around the power plug that enters the amplifier, and the power plug that enters the wall socket (thin tape works best because it doesn’t spring open).
Just go onto eBay, search for fo.Q TA-102 (or TA-32) and choose any site that offers free postage and a price of $35 or less. I have bought from many different suppliers and never been cheated. It can take up to a month to arrive. The limit is usually 1 packet per sale, but it doesn’t matter if the postage is free. I think the Japanese govt pays the postage to encourage export, but only up to a certain small weight.
whostolethebatmobile,

How about over the breakers in the electrical panel?
Also if I place some of it inside components is heat a factor?

ozzy
It's called "snaked-oil-induced-placebo-effect". Don't waste your money folks.
As long as snake oil induced placebo effect improves the sound count me in.
At least the cost of experimentation of the referred "Snake Oil" is minimum.

ozzy
ozzy -
It works best anywhere near power and signal connections. It has good but lesser effect elsewhere on the chassis of any suitable equipment. It would probably work near breakers, but as it's slightly conductive, I would be very careful with this, and wouldn't do it myself. If you have common sense and basic knowledge of the dangers of breaker boxes, you may be able to do it safely. Obviously, nowhere near the live wires. 

I have several component chassis almost completely covered in fo.Q inside and out except for vents. But they are things like ADCs, DACs, turntables, solid state phono preamps. Heat has never been a problem for any of those. I would not use it on valve amps because the glue could melt. 

Here’s a link to a digital transfer I made with fo.Q tape on every piece of equipment used to make the transfer (cartridge, tonearm, tonearm cable, phono preamp, a/d converter)

http://www.g45central.com/posts/Frays.flac
I have a Audioquest Niagara 7000 and I was thinking of using the Fo.Q extensively inside it. Under the cover, on caps, on the IEC inlet.

ozzy
jkbtn46 posts04-26-2019 5:32amIt's called "snaked-oil-induced-placebo-effect". Don't waste your money folks.

+1, it's just the thing for the gullible, it's https://youtu.be/YTY26k0CA0I?t=4

Cheers George

https://www.thecableco.com/ta-102-tuning-absorber-tape.html

"... Cut the tape to the desired size using scissors or other cutting implement, then adhere it to the surface of the audio components, such as the speakers, the amplifiers, the CD players, the audio racks, the power supply boxes, etc ..."     Wow... M-A-G-I-C.The Japanese must've learned a thing or two from Synergistic Research - the snake oil capital of the world.

But just think, you are comparing a $3000 product to a $35 one.
Don't try it if you are so sure it is "Snake Oil", but how can you be so sure?

ozzy
I put some fo.Q tape on the engine of my car it now runs so much better.

Seriously... who are these people? Just incredibly gullible?? Or get paid to do this (writing positive reviews)??? Could be one person using multiple usernames.

Whatever... it's sublime. We salute you!
Yeah, they're all the same aren't they? Strongly mocking and negative posters bordering on rude and abusive, attempting to guide readers away from something they have never tried and never will. Saw it in many other threads on this forum. It's really depressing when it's used mindlessly against something great. Who are these people?
Now it's so obvious. You must identify yourself when you start a (marketing) thread like this one. If you did I wouldn't do anything to hurt your business. Good luck.
jkbtn -
If your comment is aimed at me, I didn’t start the thread. My business is selling greeting cards in Australia. I’m not marketing fo.Q tape, I just like it and will advise others of the benefits.

If you or anyone reading wants technical information and detailed measurements from the Japan Science and Technology Agency (who helped develop the product) showing exactly how fo.Q tape works, and the parent company Kiso Industries Ltd., and the inventor Titecs Ltd and their patent for piezoelectric vibration damping, here are links

http://www.foq.jp/foqhp_e/qa.html
http://www.foq.jp/foqhp_e/about.html
http://www.kisoind.co.jp/en/development.html
http://www.kisoind.co.jp/en/business.html
http://www.kisoind.co.jp/en/history.html
http://www.freepatentsonline.com/EP1413603.html
Uh, it’s not a marketing thread. It’s an enthusiast thread. Duh!
I started the thread because I was impressed that for $35 I could get some improvement, not earth shattering but noticeable. No financial interest for me.
As I stated previously, even though you have never tried it (or did you?)  you seem to know it is "Snake Oil," so, then just don't buy it.

ozzy
So if this is not a marketing thread... then what? Why would anyone take the time to write such an advertisement for a particular product/brand in public forums like Audiogon, if not affiliated? Too much enthusiasm in high-end audio, or too much free time on his hands, or just try to gain some popularity on here?He and his friend (or the same one) at least got the forum troll on their side. Again, good luck.

"... Science and Technology Agency (who helped develop the product) showing exactly how fo.Q tape works, and the parent company Kiso Industries Ltd., and the inventor Titecs Ltd and their patent for piezoelectric vibration damping, here are links ...""... Vibration-damping materials are materials that convert vibration energy into thermal energy and reduce the vibrations of a solid surface ..."

Well, it seems you’ve done a quite bit of research. Actually it grabbed my attention since I’m an engineer specialized in piezoelectricity. Vibrations generate some tiny bit of current ... that practically can’t be converted into substantial amount of heat. We can use that minute current in many innovative applications such as mapping atoms as in scanning electron microscopy, but not enough as in heat generating damping materials. They just try to sell snake oil. Use the money to buy concert tickets or favorite CDs.
I’m not affiliated in any way with fo.Q or any other audio product, and you can take my word for that, or continue with your totally false conspiracy theory.
If I’m trying to "gain some popularity" on here, why would I recommend something that doesn’t work? That would be very short-lived popularity.

If piezoelectric vibration damping is impossible and therefore snake oil according to you, then you must also believe all of Furutech’s piezoelectric NCF damping products are also snake oil. They operate on exactly the same principles as fo.Q.

So many scientists, patents, research and development, all proved wrong by you merely uttering the magic words "snake oil". Congratulations mate.
How can anyone call anything snake oil till they buy it, put it in their system, then you can state your personal findings? I was bashed by people like jkbtn when I started a thread on the furutech NCF break in. I was told " no such thing as break in" " light candles and chant" by rude people that never bought or heard NCF. I find this post very interesting and looked into this tape after reading this post a couple weeks ago. It's only $35 and I'm going to try it. I always wanted to try AVM( Anti Vibration Majik) but it was a messy goo, certainly for resale of gear so I didn't buy. Now I can try a similar product without the mess, thanks ozzy
who stole the bat mobile

“… I’m not affiliated in any way with fo.Q or any other audio product, and you can take my word for that…”

Ok, I’d take your word for that… but why are you fiercely defending this magic tape if you’re not affiliated?

As you’re probably already aware there is so much dishonesty going on in this so called “high-end” audio world… magic stones/pebbles/wood/tapes/mats (from PerfecPathTech) and more. Mr. Einstein came up with his theory of relativity about 100 years ago and defined the space-time continuum and gravity. The point is that everything in the theory plays out within the laws of physics. Actually you can understand the special theory, probably except for the Lorentz transformation which requires higher level math skills. It will certainly make you cry.

However, these magic things do not. Nothing but snake oil. I know that Furutech makes expensive connectors/ac receptacle/other components. I’d call it BS. You can definitely get same (or very very close) sound quality using cheaper components from Taiwan or elsewhere. You must be a highly trained music professional like Leonard Bernstein to tell any difference in sound quality between those using Furutech components and those using much cheaper Taiwanese ones. So do not waste money if you’re not Jeff Bezos.

If you have enough money to spend…

1. Upgrade your DAC

2. Get a good preamp from those venerable audio brands like Pass, Krell, Levinson, Accuphase. Will last a century.

3. Of course, nice amps and speakers

And these are all DIY projects.

1. Proper speaker placement - $0.00.

2. Room treatment – Go to Walmart/Homedepot/JoAnn’s to get materials. It’s fun to make it yourself.

3. Replace the circuit breaker (if it’s a 15 amp) with a 20 amp one for the power amp. Go find some video tutorials on Youtube.

4. Replace the AC receptacles with hospital grade 20A receptacles. This doesn’t improve the sound but I like the tightness. You can find nice ones on ebay/amazon $10 each.

5. But never spend $$$ on power cables or conditioners. Again, SNAKE OIL.

There's no point debating anything with you, jkbtn, because you are ignorant of the subject at hand. All the best.
Jkbtn would you do us a favor and list your system. It might shed light on why these type of tweeks have no results on your system. That is if you have ever tried them because you seem so knowledgeable on this subject. " never spend money on power cables or conditioners" is the dumbest closed minded  thing I have ever heard on this web sight and I have been a member 15 years. The purchase of my first Running Springs power conditioner (15 years ago) was the most eye opening experience in audio to date. If I would have listened to you I would have been robbed of all the enjoyment and music from that purchase. jkbtn put your money where your mouth is go buy a reasonably priced used Tara Lab The One power cord, Furutech NCF outlet or well regarded passive power conditioner and tell me it's all snake oil. If you do your system is not up to the task.
Thanks paulcreed for your input. I also have Furutech NCF outlets, inlets and plugs/IEC.

In the next couple of days I will be installing some of the TA-102 fo.Q inside my Niagara 7000, that should be a real test.

Again, I am not saying nor do I expect HUGE changes, but an improvement of any amount would be great for $35. As we upgrade to better components, small improvements become quite noticeable. That is in my opinion.

ozzy
Thanks folkfreak, I have now drawn my conclusion of jkbtn but will keep it to myself. It's a shame to be so closed minded. Ozzy what seller did you use to get it in a week, when the ad claims it may take a month, I would like to use your seller, thanks

paulcreed,

Getting items delivered from Japan is a crapshoot. My first order took only a week, but I think that was fluke. The second took much longer (about 3 weeks) and the third has not arrived yet. But I did order them a few weeks apart.

ozzy

jkbtn,
I really believe you could improve your sound quality by trying some of the tweeks mentioned in this forum. Choice is yours & yours alone of course. 
Nice detective work... and I see some teamwork going on here. So who is the team leader of this snake oil business? And who are the followers?

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7821 
Can't you tell it's a young man's room? That's my second system I recently set up in my son's room since he left home. He got his degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from one of the top engineering colleges in the nation. I'm so proud of this bright young man.  I got the tube amp just about 2 months ago. I've been thinking of posting my main system (massive class A amps/preamp/speakers and a new DAC, room treatment, etc..) but that's never going to happen. I don't want these people (you know who I'm talking about) to see it.Anyways the key component in this small system is the FM tuner. Just turn on the amp and tuner... no need to replace discs... no need to log in and browse. These days I rarely go down to the listening room. $500 for the tube amp, $150 for the CD player (actually i didn't need it), $20 for the FM tuner, $600 for the speakers, $100 for the speaker cables (Kimber 8tc), $50 for the 10awg power cable. The bottom line here is that you don't need to spend so much money to get yourself an enjoyable system. Being an audiophile is all about loving and enjoying music. Do not waste money on things that are not necessary.
Just bought 2 packs. Don't know how many components 2 orders will take care of if doing iec, caps,  rca's, volume pot, power cord ends, crossover caps. Any advise if you only had 2 packs, total 4 sheets where to place it, and how big of a piece for big caps without dulling sound. jkbtn give the snake oil a shot what do you have to lose I think you would be suprised throw some better caps in your tweeter path or a couple diy 8 or 10 gauge power cords. You may crossover to the other side.

paulcreed -

If you bought 2 packs of TA-102 thick tape -

One 100mm x 20mm strip on each power outlet in use.

Completely surround the exterior of each component’s iec power inlet with 20mm tape. Also cut a 20mm x 35mm piece for each side of the iec power plug. Normally I would wrap these with TA-32 thin tape, but either way this gives a major improvement in sound quality.

for big (vertical) caps, just cover the top of the cap with a square piece. Cutting them into circular pieces would be wasteful if you only have 2 packs. I don’t think fo.Q dulls sound on caps (my opinion, my taste).

For transformer, depending on size, maybe a 75mm square piece. More is better.

If you have a turntable, on the tonearm base near the tonearm and connector. Small rectangle on the tonearm headshell.

10mm strip on each side of the RCA connector banks on all amps, preamps, DACs etc.

Anywhere on crossover boards where it’s safe to place conductive tape.

20mm pieces all around the speaker terminals. If you can attach the thick tape to the speaker cable terminals (both ends), that would be great as well.

Any leftover, try anywhere on any chassis where you suspect vibration could occur.

If you do all that, you probably won’t believe your ears. It would be nice to know if you agree, after you have a listen. I hope you like it, I’m certain you will actually!

As you’re probably already aware there is so much dishonesty going on in this so called “high-end” audio world… magic stones/pebbles/wood/tapes/mats (from PerfecPathTech) and more. Mr. Einstein came up with his theory of relativity about 100 years ago and defined the space-time continuum and gravity. The point is that everything in the theory plays out within the laws of physics. Actually you can understand the special theory, probably except for the Lorentz transformation which requires higher level math skills. It will certainly make you cry.

However, these magic things do not. Nothing but snake oil. I know that Furutech makes expensive connectors/ac receptacle/other components. I’d call it BS. You can definitely get same (or very very close) sound quality using cheaper components from Taiwan or elsewhere. You must be a highly trained music professional like Leonard Bernstein to tell any difference in sound quality between those using Furutech components and those using much cheaper Taiwanese ones. So do not waste money if you’re not Jeff Bezos.

If you have enough money to spend…

1. Upgrade your DAC

2. Get a good preamp from those venerable audio brands like Pass, Krell, Levinson, Accuphase. Will last a century.

3. Of course, nice amps and speakers

And these are all DIY projects.

1. Proper speaker placement - $0.00.

2. Room treatment – Go to Walmart/Homedepot/JoAnn’s to get materials. It’s fun to make it yourself.

3. Replace the circuit breaker (if it’s a 15 amp) with a 20 amp one for the power amp. Go find some video tutorials on Youtube.

4. Replace the AC receptacles with hospital grade 20A receptacles. This doesn’t improve the sound but I like the tightness. You can find nice ones on ebay/amazon $10 each.

5. But never spend $$$ on power cables or conditioners. Again, SNAKE OIL.

Nice detective work... and I see some teamwork going on here. So who is the team leader of this snake oil business? And who are the followers?

https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/7821 
Can't you tell it's a young man's room? That's my second system I recently set up in my son's room since he left home. He got his degree in Electrical Engineering and Computer Science from one of the top engineering colleges in the nation. I'm so proud of this bright young man. I got the tube amp just about 2 months ago. I've been thinking of posting my main system (massive class A amps/preamp/speakers and a new DAC, room treatment, etc..) but that's never going to happen. I don't want these people (you know who I'm talking about) to see it.Anyways the key component in this small system is the FM tuner. Just turn on the amp and tuner... no need to replace discs... no need to log in and browse. These days I rarely go down to the listening room. $500 for the tube amp, $150 for the CD player (actually i didn't need it), $20 for the FM tuner, $600 for the speakers, $100 for the speaker cables (Kimber 8tc), $50 for the 10awg power cable. The bottom line here is that you don't need to spend so much money to get yourself an enjoyable system. Being an audiophile is all about loving and enjoying music. Do not waste money on things that are not necessary.

Well what a surprise from our new resident Troll! Exactly the same word for word posts as they have already posted in some other threads, obviously struggling to come up with many variations on a theme so just copy and paste.

Just figured it out....

jkbtn = joke bottom ( bit of artistic license on the last letter sorry!).

Please stop feeding the trolls, they just multiply and bite!
As something relevant to this thread I have also purchased two packs off eBay and will be time to play.

These tweaks on chump change are refreshing compared to wholesale multi thousand dollar equipment changes !

BTW my experience with ordering from Japan ( numerous eBay items over the years) is this.

It may say a month but I think that is to cover themselves. If it is light and goes by Japan air post you are likely to see it in a week to 10 days.
Heavier items will take a little longer ( think turntable which took 2 weeks) but I have never had to wait more than 3 weeks.