SUT help

Hello all,

I've combed the forums and pretty much every SUT thread either devolves into arguments of the merits for/against, or gets hyper specific. I'm assuming to properly match a SUT, it needs to be selected based on the cartridge AND phono pre-amp. Since I haven't found a thread about my specific combo...here I am.

I don't know a TON about SUTs, but I'd like to experiment to see if adding one will enhance my experience.

Currently, my cartridge is a Hana ML and my phono pre-amp is the Modwright PH 9.0XT. I may possibly move up to the Hana Umami Red in the nearish future, but the specs are fairly similar between that and the ML.

Hana ML specs: 0.4mv; 7 ohm/1khz
Hana Umami Red specs: 0.4mv; 6 ohm/1khz

Modwright PH 9.0xt - MM input is 52db gain, with option to lower -6 and -12 to 46db and 40db.

I currently use the MC input which offers 64db of gain (-6, -12). I've typically kept it at 64db and alternate between 100ohm and 250ohm for load impedance settings. The 470 is too much.

--

Not sure if its possible to have a SUT that would work well with both the ML and umami red, but if so, I'm all ears. If not and they each need specific ones, I'd be considering the ML first and foremost.

Any help is appreciated. I don't really have any clue how to determine what ratio is best and whether copper or silver pair better with these cartridges. I had EM/IA recommended to me in the past, but their pricing is well beyond what I'd like to spend on one (~$1500 or less, ideally?)

128x128mmcgill829

@lewm  Has this not been where the Thread Started,

Has not all Posts been close to describing what one is doing as their very unique methodology to experience a particular type of Cartridge and nothing else.

Have you not yourself stated the following:

"The answer to Raul's OP question seems to be no, nobody knows which cartridge type is inherently "better".  But most of us have an opinion."

Funny how when I express an opinion on how I perceive what might be the best conditions to assess the Mother of all Phon's, the reply is that it is utter rubbish.

A Pole might suggest my hypothetical list is one that a proportion of others seem to think would be attractive is able to be achieved.

But!, If they Don't, at least the assessment of the Threads Theme and Contribution has bee maintained, where most of us have an opinion . 

Help me out please, when the Phon' of Phon's does become available for my experiencing. How do I capitalise on this opportunity.

Must the TA be the £60K Sat. 

Must the LOMC be over £20K

Must the TT be north of £80Kish

Must the Interconnects be £20K+

What must the Downstream equate to £250Kish.

@pindac High end audio isn't driven by price, its driven by intention. For that reason, the most expensive gear might not be the best sounding. Its simply the most expensive.

Funny how when I express an opinion on how I perceive what might be the best conditions to assess the Mother of all Phon's, the reply is that it is utter rubbish.

If I had to guess, the reason was because @lewm is possibly aware that price and sound quality have nothing to do with each other or at best are only loosely associated.

@atmasphere You Stated:

"the most expensive gear might not be the best sounding."

Might !!, Is very broad in its context used.

I will say when I eventually / If I eventually get to experience the end sound produced by the most expensive equipment. There might be a sound discovered that shows it to be extremely desirable to keep in use, maybe more attractive a sound than any other encountered. Obviously affordability will be the realised  constraint to making an acquisition materialise.

I don't see too much difference between either of our Statements, they are both Conjecture. 

I suspect that any body with a interest in experiencing something that is off real interest to them, is with a underlying wish to experience the very best of what is available.

Gastronomes will quite happy put their name on a waiting list to be given a seat in a restaurant of choice with a year for the waiting.

A Photography Enthusiast, will usually make sacrifices to get to the place of having professional quality Glass in their arsenal of lenses.

Vintage Car Enthusiasts will Travel far and wide to see the most pristine models from their chosen era of production.

Vehicle Enthusiasts, with little interest in owning a Performance Car will pay to experience Track Days in Super Car with Professional Driver and Coach, just to know what it is all about, a Performance Car Enthusiast, I presume the Goal is to keep going to the day out is in a Formula One Vehicle?

As for Audio Equipment, there are many who are enthusiasts, that would like the experience of being seated in front of an Uber Expensive Set Up.

I myself have done this on occasions to the point I class myself as Familiar with an extremely expensive Audio System. Even though extremely impressive and always thoroughly enjoyed when experienced, I do not class this as the Very Best in Audio, neither is it the very best produced sound that I have encountered.

My own take is attraction to end sound is unique to each individual, so each has their very own preference for what they want to wed themselves to.

My inquiry was relating to what would need to be the supporting equipment to prove a particular device selected for Audio purposes is the Best of the Offerings.

If I made the Statement I have heard the best end sound from any of the Phon's I have heard in use, hence I believe this Phon' to be the best Phon' ever produced.  I'm sure my statement would be questioned quite heavily.

The heavily questioning may be quite less, if such a statement is backed up with the types of supporting equipment used, the description offered will hopefully be one that can be seen to be with increased creditability, if references to equipment used are seen as cutting edge and at the forefront of design and function.

But most importantly, all the context of the above is conjecture, the experiencing and impression being made is the only way to assess how an end sound is one to be lived with or not.

@lewm seemingly decided he knew the quality of the end sound of my owned Phon's and suggested my owned and in use Phon's, were inferior in producing sound to others.

My Bespoke Built Phon' was over a period of time carefully worked with, to Voice it to my own particular preference. When the Phon' got to the end sound I was most attracted to. The designer / builder, made it known, my version was to be the upgrade option. I know I have got exactly what I want to make Old Bones with.

I also know Customers for this same Phon' design are extremely pleased with having discovered this as an option.

Okay so maybe time to get back on the rails here...

What exactly is the point here?

None of this is doing any service to my original question, and seems more to be a debate about who is 'right.' The theoretical gear needed (or not needed) to 'prove' or 'disprove' anything is a pointless discussion. Everyone has different gear, rooms, ears, preferences, and opinions. It's also completely irrelevant to my question.

I fully appreciate that there are varying experiences here with SUTs, with some finding some pleasing improvement to their experience, and others not. All are valid experiences.

From answers to my original questions, it seems like finding a SUT with 1:10 and 1:20 options might be best since it sounds like there's been success with both and either should work with various configurations on my phono pre-amp. Some good suggestions on specific models to consider so far, but if anyone else has any other suggestions that might fit the bill, happy to check them out as well. Thank you to all who have provided some guidance on proper matching.

@mmcgill829 The very best method to make a discovery about a impact a device can have is to experience it with an open mind.

You are on the right track with Winding Ratio's selected.

The want to experience will be furthered as an educational encounter when a SUT is used in your system.

Your assessment of your experience, as well as the impression that is made on you, is awaited by myself.

There is plenty of info in this thread and linked threads to help you get a bearing on what has been experienced. 

I am happy to have supplied a description that will be a aid to this.