Surge protector

This morning we had a power surge.  First one I ever experienced.  It knocked out the sub woofer components of my GoldenEar Triton one speakers. In my ignorance I had them plugged into the wall rather than a surge protector. Soooo it blew the amplifiers in the sub woofers. It’s going to be a costly proposition: $500 for the amplifiers plus God knows how much the dealer is going to charge for coming to my house. (He’s very reluctant to do it, wants me to lug the 80 lbs speakers to the store.   
Meanwhile, I’m having to listen to bass-less  speakers for the foreseeable future.
So, the moral of the story is plug everything into a surge protector.

128x128rvpiano
Post removed 

Has anything changed, with your AC mains power that feeds your equipment? Any more thunderstorms, since you started reading Audiogon Forum posts? No...

What’s that tell you?

@jea48  , that I am becoming neurotic and needlessly paranoid in my old age?

Hate to hear your having such problems. It's hard to believe it would be because of your power conditioner strip.
Did both amps go out on your GE T1's?
I would definitely check the fuse(s) this time.  
When one of mine was brand new and first plugged in, it blew a fuse.  The light came on, flickered, and then nothing.
FWIW I decided to plug my fronts into a couple of Tripp Lite Isobar 2 plug units I already had.  My surround amps got plugged into a Furman AC 215A.  I haven't had a chance to really listen to the system to see if I notice any changes.  The way my system is set up, it's too hard to really do an A/B comparison.  I'll have to rely on my memory.  Now days, that's worse than my hearing:)

I’ve had the Furman PST-8 for just under 4 years, it is behind the stereo rack out of sight.  From reading this thread I decided to check that the "Protection-OK" light was on indicating all is well.

It wasn’t on so the unit is basically a fancy power strip at this time, with "maybe" some unspecified level of power protection left.  Funny enough, a much older surge protecter in the same receptacle which also has a power protection light is still working.

Called Furman and as mentioned earlier in this thread (I think this one) there is no internal fuse or reset mechanism.  Basically said try unplugging it for 10 minutes but don’t expect much.  No luck.