Streaming, Getting the Signal, Then What?

I feel so stupid not getting the streaming thing though at almost 70 years old I have moved more toward digital then any time previously.  My PS Audio AirLens into a PS Audio DirectStream DAC MK1 gets its signal from a Netgear Nighthawk CAX80 modem/router purchased in Jan. '22.  I know I get a signal. I hear music play. Is this Netgear product better than the freebie that the ISP provider installs?  I think so. But following discussion FORUM I tend to think I may be able to do better, maybe?

So chime please as to what perhaps I should considered considering my AirLense & MK1 DAC. PLEASE, do not tell me why what I have could be so much better if.... This post presumes I have the equipment I have. From modem/router to sources is a high end AudioQuest ethernet cable product. That also is out of the equation for whomever wants to opine as to my cable choice.

Recommendations please.  If it matters the sources feed into a PS Audio BHK Signature pre, then into a pair of PS Audio M1200 monoblocks.  Speakers are Ohm Walsh Tall 3000. Love love love the flexibility I get from omni-directionals.  O.K., you can share your thoughts about my Ohms. But budget doesn't allow MBL or German Physiks.  Thanks one and all.

128x128veemike

The two main reasons to use your own router are cost and security. Internet providers tend to charge you a monthly rental fee which you can avoid by having your own equipment.

The other is security. Having your own router prevents a provider installed backdoor being used to get into your network. The number of times magic passwords have gotten into the wild is not zero, so is the number of times vendors have allowed zero-day exploits to go unpatched. .

There’s also the matter of features. For instance, if you wanted to use a mesh aware router, Wifi 7, etc.

Just make sure to set your router to auto-update to ensure any future security holes are patched and you’ll be fine.

Right now the bargains in Wifi routers are Wifi 6 capable unit which are being discounted now that Wifi 7 is out.  They'll serve you well for many years.

Keep your I2s connection as it is the best sounding connection for my streamer. I used to use USB but realized my CD transport connected with I2s sounded a hair less grainy. So I switch the transport to AES and used the I2s port for the streamer. Problem solved, they are now both on par. Everybody has an opinion and it is well represented here. I also like the cleaning the ethernet feed part. I use an optical isolation bundle with LPS into an ethernet switch before the streamer. I also use a master clock to time the switch, DDC and DAC. Everything matters is an expensive fact I have come to accept. Of course the choice of cables matters greatly, but that's another discussion that will take this one further into the weeds. Keep an open mind and experiment if you can. I am 70 also. Enjoy the journey.

Lots of the usual advice here. Is their anything about the current system that bothers you or makes you think you could or should do better?

Welcome to the rabbit hole of streaming. At least ten years into streaming, experimenting with so many devices and it continues to this day. In general, every single link in chain important, noise introduced at any point in chain is a loss one can never get back, clocking equally important. So, it begins with internet provider/speed (stability here) all the way through dac. As for guiding one as to specific solutions, look at all the advice given in this short thread, I'm sure much more to come. So many devices, so many opinions, where does one begin! I've gone down the road of experiential learning, some fails, some wins, still learning. Most recent experimentation is attempting to determine what is best input for dac, usb or I2S, I fully expect a unique outcome based on what dac used. Unique implementation of common technologies is replete in streaming and it goes on and on.

The AirLens is dumb. You cannot play via a remote app like most of us. No USB drive play. I cannot think of a worse choice for a first streamer.

It is built for DLNA. Good luck with that.

I don’t know what you want to do but it might be impossible as dreamed up.