Spectral DMA 200

Have recently acquired a Spectral DMA 200 amp and can’t hardly find any information about this amp. I call the manufacturer and was a dead end. Per chance would anyone know where to source an owners manual/spec sheet? Any info would be much appreciated. Many thanks

Ag insider logo xs@2xjalbertwebsterjr

@jalbertwebsterjr  :

Potenza di uscita continua:
8 ohm - 200WRMS
4 ohm - 380WRMS
Corrente di uscita 32a – Distorsione inferiore allo 0,1% Da Cc A 100 Khz
Tipicamente .006% 200wrms / 8ohms
Tempo di salita: meno di 300 Nanosecondi
Slew Rate 500 Nanosecondi -
Dimensioni - 17 x 48 x 53 cm
Peso – 41 kg.

I searched a bit and didn’t find anything relevant to a schematic available on line.

Goodwins in Waltham Mass is a Spectral dealer, maybe they could help

you out.

Dear @jalbertwebsterjr  : " know where to source an owners manual/spec sheet? "

You started the thread with that statement with out disclosing your real " agenda ":

""  looking for a wiring diagram for this amp. ""

You are in Agon since last december and you have only one post tha's in this thread.

I don't know what you want to do but does not exist a " wiring diagram " for an amp, exist schematics of its circuit boards that I don't think you can have for a Spectral unit.

What moves you to ask for that " wiring diagram "? what do you want to do with?

You can have some kind of advise if you disclose exactly what you are trying to find out .

Regards and enjoy the MUSIC NOT DISTORTIONS,

R.

Apologies for not stating my intentions to the group request. I’am most certainly new to the forum and didn’t intend to come across disrespectful. All that said, I’m an AV integrator and 2ch hobbyist and acquired this DMA 200 from a client as they were updating their home theater. This amp is truly a work of art under the hood > hand made in totality. I’ve researched this model for weeks trying to find any information as to the layout underneath said hood. The amp fires up and works, but since it’s a class A amp, it’s been working hard since 1987. My intentions are to troubleshoot and fix this work of Art back to its original sonic beauty. There are hums/ground loops present with no source connected. I’m simply trying to identify the signal path and potential points of weaknesses. Each channel is a mono block and there is so much going on under this hood, parts wise, I’m trying to discern what’s what > technical schematics, aka “a map” would handy in my goal of restoring this work of art. 
Sorry for the confusion > ground loops can pound sand IMO.

Many thanks,

Is it possible to send it to Spectral? I’m not sure they are still a functional company.

Dear @jalbertwebsterjr  : All the Spectral models have a unique Spectral topology where between other things the unit is tunned at each single stage in the whole circuit boards.

So with out schematics is a truly hard task try to fix it and been Spectral rthe only one to fix it then you are in Spectla hands. Even if you touch the boards ( at any place ) and you send to Spectral they will refuse to fix it.

Btw, transformers could be a hum source and the Spectral ones were custom made.

R.

Greetings 

‘As stated above, Spectral will not publish a wiring diagram. The owners manual only shows you Block diagrams. If you decide to work on it yourself, Spectral will probably not service it.

It would be best to contact an audio dealer who sells Spectral gear. They will contact Spectral for you and arrange shipping your unit back to Spectral.

It has been my experience that some companies do not want to deal with the general public. This has happened to me on more than one occasion.

I have Spectral gear in my main system.

Respectfully 

Joe Nies

@jalbertwebsterjr , my best friend was talked into a Spectral System way back and it included the DMA 200. It is an extremely unreliable amp if used with anything but Spectral gear. After blowing the amp twice he sold it and now is happy as a lark with McIntosh  gear. Spectral is also a PITA to deal with. They could care less about their older equipment.

Thanks to all for the input, as this forum has contributed very helpful information. I  can’t stop admiring the beauty of this handmade piece and don’t know how to curtail this obsession of wanting to hear it sing in its full glory. I’d feel ashamed to let this opportunity go to the wayside. Provided none of the groups advice pan out, I’m hopeful the universe will find a way for the DMA 200 to bring another individual JOY!

thanks again for all the intel and all the best

@jalbertwebsterjr  : Here you can rea part of the Spectral topology design.

I always admired the Spectral designs and had opportunity to listen to it 3-4 times and are excelent and normally the owners don't let it go their units:

Spectral Audio DMA-180 High-Current Reference Amplifier

Btw, maybe you need to test your unit loaded and not " empty ".

R.

When a source is connected another hum is present or takes over > this hum will increase with volume. Head scratcher 

You need to use a Spectral preamp and MIT cables with it.  If not, the amp can be driven into oscillation easily.  Have you checked out Audio Circle, there may be a Spectral group there?

Spectral does not work on older gear since they can no longer get the parts.  Goodwins Highend may be able to help if anyone can. 

I have a copy of a copy of the Spectral DMA-200 Operation and Maintenance Manual. Some guy in Germany was kind enough to send me a copy when he was selling his amp. There is NO wiring diagram, just 11 pages of words. I can send it to you or try to email it whichever works best. I have tried to find a copy online to no avail. Spectral Audio is absolutely no help. The DMA 200 is an orphan.

Stan