speakers and cables

this is about me being a loser and problem creator.

I finally got a 2nd subwoofer and I was excited to hook it up. Well, not too excited. I knew it would be a pain to hook it up. I was excited to hear it. I spent over 90 minutes connecting the speaker wires to my power amp. When I turned it on, the left channel was gone. It blew the fuse. I disconnected everything, replaced the fuse, hooked it up again. It worked for 10 seconds, blew the fuse again.

The way I hooked them up was I went from the sub speaker out from both subwoofers, rolled the left and right side wires together so I had 4 wires that I connected to the left and right plus and minus channels - speaker binders on the power amp. What are my options? My preamp has no sub out. Nor my amp.

Stupid question: should I just go from left to left on one sub and right to right on the other sub?

grislybutter

@immatthewj thanks for the clarification. It wasn't your fault, I am easily confused. Your explanations are always very thorough.

I am looking up Y splitters now on Amazon.

@grislybutter , I've actually used 'Y' splitters for something I was doing with my HT setup (way back in the days of Dolby Prologic when I had a HT set up) and I don't know why I didn't mention that before.  Something about 'Y' splitters from preamp seems intrinsically impure to me, but thinking about it, it cannot be as impure as "another crappy box" (with a pair of pots) and an extra pair of interconnects that were not there before.

And also, just out of curiosity I feel compelled to ask, did you try speaker wire out to sub and then out to speaker on both the left and right side?  (In other words, treating each sub/speaker as an extension of each other?)  Just wondering if you did and how it went. . . .

@immatthewj I have the same feeling about Y splitters, not very audiophile-ish. But - also cheaper than a box.

I have not tried "serializing" subs and speakers. I want the signal to go from my amp directly to the speakers to somehow justify my semi-decent Morrow Audio speaker cables. (In the same time, at my level, speaker cables don't matter)

Oh, I forgot to mention that it's electrically equivalent (per sub company chief product guy) to do the same wiring from the speaker terminals to the subs if that's logistically easier.  Less wire, less clutter in rack.   

https://www.transparentcable.com/products/rca-y

https://soundapproach.com/wireworld-luna-8-luiy-audio-y-adapter-cable-single.html

@akgwhiz that’s interesting? It would be much easier for because the speakers’ bindings are modern - easy to access.

thanks @mashif - that's a good price. (And then I clicked on the 77K speaker cable)