Sound coming from JL Audio F 113

I have had a weird noise coming from my JL Audio sub a few days ago that sounded  almost like white noise, or maybe a wind tunnel.  It continued when I turned the sub off, not stopping until I unplugged the unit.  I plugged it back in and   It has worked fine.   I heard the sound again for a few seconds when I turned it on today.  Anyone have any idea what would cause this.  Could it be a capacitor issue?  I hate the thought of sending it in for repair.

128x128bwguy

Checking your connection is always a good idea. Unplug a plug back in a couple of times. Same with the PC. Make sure everything is plugged in, all the way.

Cost nothing to check..

Regards

I had a similar issue with my E112s when the crossovers died. Then again when the volume pots died. Next time you hear it try turning the knobs and see what happens. 

You probably have one of the USA made jl audio products, lol.....I had way too many issues with the one I owned so I went back to Rel

If you have an original F113 (ie not v2), and it's never been re-capped, it's probably due. The original boards had capacitors that were marginal for the conditions. The factory replaces them with higher-temperature caps that are expected to last longer.

If it's under warranty, I certainly would send it back to JL for repair.

JL makes great subs, but if my experience is typical, not enough work is put into durability engineering in the design. My two F112s have been back to JL a total of four times (twice each). To JL's credit, they comped the last repair, even though the sub was about 12 yrs old.

Stuff fails. But when its a 100-lb subwoofer, the failure is really painful.

A few weeks ago the amp in one of my six year old F113V2's died, when turned on just made a "thump, thump, thump..." sound.

I contacted JL Audio and they have a "fixed price" update for out-of-warranty subs, where they not only repair the unit, but they also bring the componentry up to date with the updates they've made over the years.

The JL rep sent me detailed instructions on how to properly remove and reinstall the backplane amplifier.

I am super pleased with the service I received from them, I'd recommend you do the same.

I will check, but I am pretty sure the sub is out of warranty. What is strange, is that I hear the white noise when the sub is switched to off. When I switch to on, it stops.

Sounds like some caps going bad. There is a switch on the back to lift the ground as well. I would flip the position of that if you haven’t already and see what that does. Mine has been out of commission for several years. I finally pulled the plate amp and am planning on sending it in for repair. It’s $450 plus shipping.