Simaudio 390 Network Streamer | DAC | Preamp

I have not demoed this unit yet but it as a feature set that is off the charts (no DSP). Though the abundance of features concerns me as being too much of a good thing (maybe too much noise). I spoke to a dealer about the 390. He said that you need to step up to a DAC 2x the cost to notice improvements in sound.

https://simaudio.com/en/product/390-network-player-preamplifier/?v=445d337b5cd5  ($5,300)

So I wanted to ask here for people who have demoed | owned | shootout this unit. Ignoring the feature set, what did you think of the sound? What do you like better under $10K?

I have read a lot of the reviews and I get the sense that it is a very good product but I do not see it being paired with an excellent amp. I am considering pairing this with a Luxman m900u amp. What amps did you pair the 390 with?

I am also considering the Luxman c900u preamp, the Benchmark LA4 preamp, and the Mola Mola Makua w/DAC. Though for the current system I am building I realize I do not need to go crazy because it is in my home office and not critical listening.
yyzsantabarbara
Why not consider the Moon 330a or the 400m monoblocks? 

I love my Moon. Next step for me is a 390 with a 330a.
I am set on the Luxman m900u amp after doing a lot of demos. It will be an amp that that can serve a couple of growing system roles in the future. So I do not mind spending extra cash on this now.

Like you I also have some gear that I really liked,  one being the Benchmark AHB2 amp. I had this amp in the past but sold it. I am going to buy the AHB2 again and also the LA4 preamp to replace my current Peachtree Nova 150 integrated (using with KEF LS50 monitors).

I will eventually buy the Luxman m900u amp when I get the funds and test it out with the LA4 preamp. I think It will work well, if not, I can home demo other preamps, such as the Simaudio 390 | Mola Mola Makua | Luxman c900u.
If you are not looking for all of the features of the 390, you could also consider a used 380 DSD with their M-eVOL2  based volume control option and the streaming option, or one without the volume control and pair it to a reasonably priced preamp like the Benchmark.

I own the 380DSD and love it.   I find it extremely musical and easy to listen to, along with offering very good detail.

Back when I was looking for a new DAC, in my system (Pass 250.8+Sim 740P) I compared a Bryston BDA-2, Berkeley  Alpha Dac 2, and 380DSD and preferred (and purchased) the latter.   To my ears it didn't have the ulta-resolution of the Berkeley but I found it to sound more like music and was just more enjoyable to listen to.

A 740P paired with Luxman m900u amp would likely be awesome :)

Post removed 
I owned the 390 for two month. It really is a fantastic kit. I am using it as all-in-one solution. So 390 and Bryston 4B3. That’s it. I had Chord Hugo 2 before and 390 is a better sounding DAC / preamp in my system.

For 2 channel, I use the Mind 2 streamer which is built into the unit. I stream music files from my PC or Tidal to 390 which works flawlessly.

My PC is connected to HDMI in 390. Video is passed to my plasma TV and sound via HDMI is pretty good. I am using a generic HDMI 2.0 compatible cable. HDMI connectivity makes this device really usable in digital domain, IMO.

I have not demoed or tried the other devices that OP mentioned so I cannot comment on how the 390 stack up to those, but the 390 sounds great in my system. But, there is a review from hifiplus.com where the reviewer compared the 390 to VAC/Chord DAVE/dCS combo and gave a very favorable review.

One thing I learned is that it sounds much better with balanced cables. If you are like me who value simplicity, no compromise in performance, convenience, usability, and hassle free ownership, then I think you will like the 390.  Good luck!
Can't comment on performance though I have and treasure Sim Moon amp and preamp.  But getting an all-in-one component locks you out of future developments in the digital world that is very fast moving.  I would always consider separate DAC, streamer, preamp.  Just one opinion.
Sure, but good one box solution take lot of guess work out of it and don't need to buy additional cables.