room size question.

( wasnt sure what category to put this in ,so figured this one would get more views)

in watching some you tube videos, one from Jays audio lab, and another one from Paul ( ps audio ), they both mention how the speakers should be set up in the room and it seems they bring them out into the room quite a bit.    they say that when this happens, you have the soundstage and jay was mentioning that there are layers that one gets to hear when listening.

my question i guess is that can this same thing happen in a smaller room, say 12x12 or is one just limited to say center imaging due to room size ?

room is treated

this is the ps audio video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x63RORq8JMw

jays video 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZOWcvbfNZw

bshaw

I would unplug the subs first, and experiment with the monitors only.

I just did a reread & I read this by @grislybutter  , did you ever give this a try?

Also, in that previous listening space which you have alluded to, did you have any gear between the speakers?

@bshaw 

I had a professional acoustician design my room and I built it while my speakers were being built. Check out my system on my page. 100 percent absorption. I have no reflective surfaces (actually there is no drywall inside the room)   besides the door behind the chair. I hear the direct sound from the speakers. The room is probably considered dead by most standards. The sound is phenomenal ! Wide soundstage, amazing center image. A consultation from a professional would be worth your time. I used Jeff at hdacoustics. He is superb. Good luck! 

@immatthewj 

I just did a reread & I read this by @grislybutter  , did you ever give this a try?

Also, in that previous listening space which you have alluded to, did you have any gear between the speakers?

i have not turned the subs off.           i guess my question is what would be the purpose of that ?

yes the gear is in between the speakers.      the stands are basically amp stands, so they are very low to the ground.

https://www.facebook.com/photo/?fbid=10223074687878862&set=a.2556971486848

I am in an 11 by 12 room with 8 foot untreated ceiling.  I too use GIK acoustic panels.  The speakers are pulled into the room say 3 feet.  I have a few feet behind my listening chair.  It is a 5 1/2 foot triangular set up.  At first I had the speakers slightly wider apart but noticed that seemed to give me a wide stage and depth but there was a hole in the middle.  The trick was moving the speakers just two inches closer together.  It takes a lot of patience but once you get there you will have the width, depth, and height...and those layers will sound lovely.  Albeit in such small spaces one might not get 100 % the I can walk between the instruments with ease effect that Jay Lee and Thomas talks about. As far as too much speaker that someone mentioned--I run two 12' subs in the room along with my Sonusfaber Oly 1s----the bass is well balanced. And finally those that mentioned how the music is recorded are spot on too.  Some recordings just do not have the mix to allow for spacious, enveloping sound.  Best wishes!