Room improvement

Many of you speak of the importance a room plays in the ultimate sound . There must be be many variables to try. Where do you start?
audiomaze
If your room sounds like crap with nothing in it, slap echo, hollow sounding, overdamped, reverberations, etc., why would you think an audio system will fix all of these issues. A good room will allow a good speaker to sound great whereas a bad room will make a great speaker sound like crap
Adjusting my ears to the speaker and room worked perfect and cost nothing.

Oh, it does. It’s mentally fatiguing. At least for me. There are some interesting articles i keep meaning to pursue about the dual streams of information our brain perceives, and how much effort is involved in filtering out the room acoustics and noise.

I specifically use my stereo to relax my brain from this in-office sound brain fatigue. Can’t do it in a live room. But I know from talking and listening to many audiophiles that for a lot of them it's a non issue.

Audiomaze- start with the basics.  FIRST thing you need to do ( once the speakers are in place and with Maggies, that will take a LOT of experimentation) is to get a decent microphone and do some rudimentary analysis of the room with a test disc/cd.  Once you know what you have, then you can begin to level out the peaks with treatments/furnishings, etc.  As a basic, with Maggies, you want some diffusion on the wall behind the speakers and in your case, get a 4" foam cushion to sit on which (hopefully) will raise your ear height and eliminate the back of the couch reflections.  I would not try to "fix" problems that you can't identify from the tests- it is a waste of time and money.  Good Luck!